1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity Leave - what will I go back to??

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by joannagb, Jun 4, 2011.

1. joannagb

joannagb Occasional commenter

http://www.teachers.org.uk/maternitymatters
    Have a look at the above. Basically, it's your job, your ML cover is just standing in for you, you get your job back (unless you and the head have agreed otherwise) exactly as you left it.

2. It's just I know teachers have gone on maternity at my school and then been out into a different year group upon their return. Could I been given a different year group? I have a feeling my HT will ask me to move to KS1 leader, if I don't want to do this can she insist?
    Sorry for all the questions, not sure where to get the info from and I'm already worrying about it!

3. joannagb

joannagb Occasional commenter

Ah, sorry I misunderstood. I think that they are allowed to move you between one year group and another, whether you are on maternity leave or not, aren't they? The obligation on their part, as far as I'm aware, is to ensure that you have the same or like role and at least the same salary on your return. So possibly they could move you from one year group to another - assuming that you have the appropriate qualifications and they consider it to be the best thing for the school.
    I'm secondary, so not that clear on terminology in primary - is KS1 leader a TLR holding post? If so, is it one comparable to one which you already hold? And if it is, what does your actual contract for the TLR say? If it specifies that you are KS2 leader or something similar then they can't move you without your agreement.
    It sounds like you could do with an informal chat with either your HT (if they are approachable and reasonable) or your union helpline - just to clarify your rights and the school's responsabilities.

4. Thanks for getting back to me. Think I will have a chat with my HT next week when we go back to school and then maybe my union to clarify things.
    Cheers

5. You are presumably employed as a class teacher.
    Your HT can move you anywhere at any time, in theory.
    You have no "legal" right to expect to return to the same class / age group. In primary much can change in 12 months.
    The important thing is that your HT keeps you as fully informed of any changes as any other member of staff, so you are not disadvantaged by being on ML.

6. Weezy18

Weezy18 New commenter

I am KS1 Leader and also on maternity leave. I will be going back to my KS1 TLR role. Although we have a new head who is keen to re-do all our job descriptions. My contract says my TLR is for KS1 and when I queried this I was told unless restructuring happenend I would still hold that post. Interestingly no one has covered my role while I have been off!