1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity Leave/Sick Pay Question!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by amanda9271, May 23, 2011.

1. Hi Everyone,

I've been looking on here for an answer but am struggling to find one. I'm currently 24 weeks pregnant and due in September. I've been signed off of work since Easter due to Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction. I can't really walk without crutches and a brace and the doctor has said I will not be able to return to work and will have this problem until the baby is born.

My issue is that since I've only been teaching for two years I think that I will be down to half pay toward the end of July. Would it be possible to get my doctor to sign a note saying I'm fit for work on the first day of Summer Holiday? That's what I've been advised to do by some other friends who are teachers as well. I can't really afford to be on half-pay for the entire summer.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

2. Hi Everyone,

I've been looking on here for an answer but am struggling to find one. I'm currently 24 weeks pregnant and due in September. I've been signed off of work since Easter due to Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction. I can't really walk without crutches and a brace and the doctor has said I will not be able to return to work and will have this problem until the baby is born.

My issue is that since I've only been teaching for two years I think that I will be down to half pay toward the end of July. Would it be possible to get my doctor to sign a note saying I'm fit for work on the first day of Summer Holiday? That's what I've been advised to do by some other friends who are teachers as well. I can't really afford to be on half-pay for the entire summer.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

3. I'm not entirely sure but I think you should be signed off sick until 4 weeks before your edd. Then maternity starts. I don't think your maternity should start in July. Does that makes sense? : )

4. It does make sense. The problem is that I'll have used all my sick time by July and need to know if it's possible, as my friend suggested, to get signed 'fit to work' as of the first day of summer holiday. Otherwise, I'm on half-pay for the entire time.

5. firstly you are entitled to 100 teaching days at full pay. if you are signed off sick then your maternity leave will automatically start at 36 weeks. i'm not sure i'd go with the signing yourself fit for the first day of the summer hols as they will blatantly know you've not improved.
    so if you're now 24 weeks and your leave will automatically start at 36 weeks due to being unfit for work then that's a maximum of 12 weeks or 60 days so you'll be covered by full pay.
    i was signed off for 2 months with SPD before my maternity leave kicked in at 36 weeks. rest up and take care of yourself x

6. Thanks. I'm sound really stupid but I'm still confused. I've only been teaching for 2 years and I was under the impression that I've only got 50 days off of full pay maternity leave and 50 days half-pay. I'm going to be short by about 7 school days of sick pay if I've counted it up right. It would mean the whole summer holiday on half-pay I believe.

7. Apoligies, I missed the teaching for two years bit. So are you in your second year of teaching or third. This is what I got from the union website. During the first year of service<font face="Arial,Arial" size="3">: Full pay for 25 working days and, after completing 4 calendar months&rsquo; service, half pay for 50 working days</font>
    During the second year of service<font face="Arial,Arial" size="3">: Full pay for 50 working days and half pay for 50 working days </font>
    During the third year of service<font face="Arial,Arial" size="3">: Full pay for 75 working days and half pay for 75 working days</font>
    During the fourth and subsequent years<font face="Arial,Arial" size="3">: Full pay for 100 working days and half pay for 100 working days</font><font face="Arial,Arial" size="3">
    Also, I think that sickness in a year is calculated from April to April, rather than the September. It must be a very painful and stressful time for you and if you will indeed be on half pay over the summer, then I think I would put fit for work on the first day of the summer holiday as your friend suggested.
    I have no idea how painful or debilitating your illness is but could you go in for the last week of term if your doctor made adjustments to your sick note and your school also?
    </font>
    Hope you find some answers soon. : )

8. ask your union what the situation is if your doctor signs you fit for work with some changes and your school refuses to make said changes. i was told that if that happened to me it wouldn't count as sick leave as i was fit for work but school didn't want me there.