1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity leave/pregnancy on supply

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by cliveceltic, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Just wondered if anyone has done this successfully? We have a little one who is 2 next week. We do want more and I was hoping to wait til I got a job however I am not getting any younger and it took us ages to get pregnant last time. I work with an agency since last term and am also registered self employed for odd bits of freelance work I get such as consultancy for my last employer. I was out of teaching for 4 years working for national initiative leading training for teachers but am struggling to get back into school or a similar non teaching job.

I am currently getting JSA as I have yet to work more than 2 days as a teacher but it all runs out come October. Likely to stay doing supply and thinkbit may be a better time for another baby as I should get sone maternity benefits and once I have had my children I can look again at more permanent jobs.

Anyone tried supply whilst pregnant? I am only doing pre booked but like the flexibility for child care and if I had appointments etc. Who pays the benefits if indeed I can claim?

Thanks in advance.

2. Just wondered if anyone has done this successfully? We have a little one who is 2 next week. We do want more and I was hoping to wait til I got a job however I am not getting any younger and it took us ages to get pregnant last time. I work with an agency since last term and am also registered self employed for odd bits of freelance work I get such as consultancy for my last employer. I was out of teaching for 4 years working for national initiative leading training for teachers but am struggling to get back into school or a similar non teaching job.

I am currently getting JSA as I have yet to work more than 2 days as a teacher but it all runs out come October. Likely to stay doing supply and thinkbit may be a better time for another baby as I should get sone maternity benefits and once I have had my children I can look again at more permanent jobs.

Anyone tried supply whilst pregnant? I am only doing pre booked but like the flexibility for child care and if I had appointments etc. Who pays the benefits if indeed I can claim?

Thanks in advance.

3. Try this link for info on your maternity benefits - the amount you need to earn is pretty small but you could be at risk if you are getting as little as 2 days work over a long period - I'm assuming you meant 2 days in total, not 2 days a week. If you can get it, the jobcentre pays.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Expectingorbringingupchildren/DG_10018869
    I have heard cases of agencies paying maternity pay as well but I'm not sure how that works.
    You could always try posting on pregnancy or baby and toddler but most people on there have permanent contracts.
    Wish I could be more helpful - I was actually trying to do what you described a couple of years ago but it didn't happen for various reasons! Good luck.

4. Thanks. I did find that info a bit confusing hence wondering if anyone had experience. I have had on average 1 day a week supply so far so not great. I am applying to the LEA pool though so hopefully between the agency and LEA and my freelance work I should paycenough NI to get something from somewhere. It's never the right time but I don't want to regret not having more kids.