1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity leave notice and summer holiday

Discussion in 'Independent' started by mariposa2000uk, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    I would be very grateful for any advice. I am 7 weeks pregnant and don't really want to tell my head until I have done all the test (20 weeks). I am aware that I have to tell my head 15 weeks before the due date, but are the summer holidays included or do have to tell him by the end of Easter Holiday. I would like to give my head as much notice as possible especially as I am a HOD but I really don't want to say anything until hopefully I get the clear. Also, I know if I tell him in confidence the news will spread very quickly. Everybody seems to know everything about all staff in my school.
    Many thanks,
    Mariposa

2. Dear Theo,
    I would be very grateful for any advice. I am 7 weeks pregnant and don't really want to tell my head until I have done all the test (20 weeks). I am aware that I have to tell my head 15 weeks before the due date, but are the summer holidays included or do have to tell him by the end of Easter Holiday. I would like to give my head as much notice as possible especially as I am a HOD but I really don't want to say anything until hopefully I get the clear. Also, I know if I tell him in confidence the news will spread very quickly. Everybody seems to know everything about all staff in my school.
    Many thanks,
    Mariposa

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

In the absence of other replies, I think that legally the 15 weeks includes holidays, but leaving notification until late June will make it more difficult for your head to find cover. I take your point about your head's indiscretion, but if you are anything like Mrs FG the evidence will be visible to all surprisingly quickly!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Congratulations! How exciting for you.
    I can understand your reluctance to tell - and Florian is correct about the 15 weeks before due date - but you must also weigh up your own needs.
    As soon as you have formally confirmed your pregnancy, the school must carry out a Risk Assessment to protect you. Are you working in conditions which could be prejudicial to your health or that of the baby? Playground duty, for example, could involve a risk of being knocked flying by a child.
    Do think about that as well.
    Thank you for sharing this with us - I just cannot imagine how you can keep it to yourself - such wonderful news!
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

5. Dear Theogriff and Florian,
    Thank you very much for your reply and advices.
    It is a very exciting news and cannot wait to tell my colleagues but I just want to make sure it is all fine before the annoucement. The reason is that I have been going through IVF and I have already been to hospital for complications.
    Once again thank you for your advices
    mariposa2000

6. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

All the best mariposa, keep us posted on how you're getting on! [​IMG]

7. Dear Noemie,
    I just wanteds to let you knwo that I am now 15 weeks pregnant and so far all is fine. I have told my HT so now he has a whole term to find someone to cover my maternity leave.
    Best regards,
    mariposa2000

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Glad to hear that all is fine. Best wishes