1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity leave - KIT days

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by xtra, Apr 23, 2019.

1. xtra

xtra New commenter

I would like to know how others have used their KIT days? In the past I have seen other teachers use them for moderation and INSET days (secondary), but at my current school there are 0 INSET days - they are all twilight sessions that have been spread across the year, so cannot be used as KIT days (according to the new HT). As I don't have a current year 11 I've also been told I cannot use a moderation day.

Is this discrimination? I thought I was entitled to use them.

2. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Nobody is entitled to KIT days.
    If both the school and the teacher want to use them, then they happen. If either party says no thanks, they don't.
    The point of the legislation is that if both parties want them, the pay for them is legal and doesn't scupper maternity leave or pay.

If you want a KIT day, you need to make your case. If your department is having inset on something that will affect you on return, then it makes sense for you to be there. If you're returning in October it may be sensible for you to attend an inset day at the start of the year, especially if there is any compulsory training such as safeguarding that might otherwise need to be "caught up". A day to go in and sort handover is often sensible. If all inset is after school, perhaps there's a case for looking at whether there is anything important, and asking about going in for just that meeting, or for that day to sort handover and then attend the twilight. (I presume that going in for part of a day would be fine, provided you can agree on the pay for that.)

strawbs and Piranha like this.
  3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

True. The rules are here. https://www.gov.uk/employee-rights-when-on-leave . It is not discrimination, as only pregnant women can have KIT days. I would have thought that, with agreement, it would be possible for you to do at least some of the INSET as part of KIT days, but that would still be up to you and the school to agree, and they don't have to.

strawbs likes this.