1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity leave help!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by girl_1, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Hello everyone.

I put a return to work after maternity leave date in my maternity leave letter as 26th March, but since having my baby I have changed my mind and would like to take the whole year off! This would mean I will go back at the end of June . I am getting really worried as I don't know if I will be forced to go back on 26th March as that is what I put in my letter :(

I just have looked on the NUT website which said that I did not have to put a return date, but I was told by school that I needed to.

Can anyone give me advice please.

Thanks.

2. your school told you wrong. you don't have to specify a return to work date until 3 weeks before you want to return to work. i'm not sure if you have to go back - contact your union.

3. Thank you for your reply

4. You are definitly allowed to change the return to work date - you most likely need to only give them 3 weeks notice that you are not going in on that date, but if I were you I would do so as soon as possible so that your maternity cover person can be given the option to stay on.

5. I have just contacted my school and they have said that I can go back later than stated as long as I give 4 weeks notice. I am so relieved as I thought they would force me to go back early than I wanted
    to. Thank you both for your replies.

6. that's excellent news. get a letter in this week and send it recorded delivery to prove they got it! and i'd send an email too and do a belt & braces job!

7. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Legally the school could be in trouble for lying to you in the first place...but as it stands and you have what you want it should be fine. If you do ant to cut down your hours, a lot of people I know have ended up going back part time, then you must talk to them in advance