1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity leave and summer holidays

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by KS2History, Feb 18, 2016.

1. KS2History

KS2History New commenter

I started maternity leave 1st September 2015 so I also got the 2015 summer holidays off. I have now decided not to return but I was wondering whether I am entitled to return for the 2016 summer holidays in order to get the full pay and then leave on 31st august?

It seems like it is unlikely that this would be allowed and I can't see an easy answer in the maternity guidelines that I've looked up.

2. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Don't you have to pay some of the enhanced pay back if you don't return as well?

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You are perfectly entitled to return to your post on the first day of the summer holidays, having already handed in your resignation (by 31st May) to take effect from 31st August. You might as well get 6 weeks' pay for nothing. It does seem a little odd, but it would be far more odd if the rules were "you can choose when to return from maternity leave, except if you're a teacher".

As far as keeping the enhanced maternity pay goes, you need to return for 13 weeks. Count carefully, but this should mean that if you return on the first day of the summer half-term break, you can teach for half a term, get paid for 13 weeks and keep the enhanced maternity pay.

Bear in mind, too, that as you didn't begin your maternity leave until September, you could opt for your partner to share your leave, taking June and July off. That way your childcare is sorted, they get some quality bonding time with your child, and their loss of income is probably compensated for in your gain, unless they earn a lot more than you.

senlady likes this.
  4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

There you are - all nicely sorted for you by @frustum !

Best wishes