1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity leave and school holidays

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by musicmakestheworldgoround, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Hi all,

I am expecting a baby at the start of May and I'd like to go on maternity leave around Easter time but obviously don't want school holidays to eat into my paid leave. Is it acceptable to go off on maternity leave on the first day back after the Easter break?

Thanks

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I have had teachers leave on the first day of a new term and return on the first day of a holiday. Eg returning full time on the first day of the long summer holiday for full pay then going part time from September 1st. All entirely appropriate and within the rules.

3. Thanks for clearing that up. That's great news!

4. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

If you are due in the summer holidays how does that work? Does your maternity start from September or does it start from first day of the holidays? I am going to an academy and get no continuous service so any extra normal pay would be good, but I guessed they would start maternity from start of the hols?

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

If you haven't specified to commence leave prior to the summer holidays, your maternity leave would start from your due date, or the date of actual birth if that occurs before your due date.

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

blank post