1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity leave and returning part time...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by EllieJtech, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Hi
    I'm new to TES forums so apologies if this has come up before (I have had a scan through previous topics but only briefly) but I am rubbish at stuff like this and a bit confused.
    I'm currently 21+2. Although the pregnancy was planned it happened quickly and I haven't been very organised so far.
    Anyway. I'll need to tell school about my intentions re maternity leave soon. I'm due on 16th May & was planning to work until end of April, maybe later. Not sure when to return but thinking either Feb half term or start of Easter hols 2013.
    I'm quite keen not to go back full time, I just can't see how I'd cope with it, so my question is, should I tell school this now - so they reduce my hours in June (we start accademic years in June) and risk losing maternity pay, or can I request to come back part time part way through my leave?
    Or would it be better to stay full time - return to work after easter 2013, work the 5 or 6 weeks until half term and then go part time from that point?
    So confused

2. Hi and congrats, this was me almost exactly two years ago and I also knew I wouldn't be keen to go back full-time. I gave my HT an idea (unofficially) that I'd be wanting part-time hours before I went on mat leave (but you certainly don't have to) then I requested it officially in writing a month or so before I was due to return. You don't have to decide at this stage when you are going to return to work, they should assume you will take the full entitlement (52 weeks) then you give 21 days notice (or is it 28? have a look at the Burgundy Book) in writing when you do actually want to go back (in your case Feb or April).
    I wouldn't recommend doing anything other than this.
    Again, as you don't know how you'll feel I wouldn't commit to this. I hope this answers your questions. I do recommend you read the Burgundy Book tho for full details. Here's the link; http://www.teachers.org.uk/files/active/0/Burgundy%20Book%20-%20July%2008%20-%20for%20Hearth.pdf Good Luck!

3. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

Yes I agree, put it in writing about what date you wish to start your leave but don't give them any indication of what hours you'd like on your return - that is something to discuss just before your return. If you like you can indicate how long you intend to take off but it isn't necessary as you might like to change your mind.
    It would be hard to read into the future and know the job situation / financial situation that far ahead so it's best not to make any decisions now.
    Good luck and congratulations xxxxx

4. Thank you both of you.
    I'll probably hold off saying anything just yet then. I know my school is making redundancies this year & next but I'd rather not have to decide anything just yet!
    Thanks again xxx