1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

maternity leave and pay

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by clairey179, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Wondering if anyone knows much about how the following would work?
    I've got a full time permament contract, but would like to apply for another full time permanent post (ASN) in another authority. I'm hoping to start a family in the next couple of years. Does continuous service for the purpose of maternity leave and pay restart if you change authority? I'm obviously thinking way far ahead, not even filled out the application form yet, and there's obviously only a fairly slim chance of actually getting an interview and being offered the post, but I don't want to spend an hour or so filling in a form if it wouldn't really be possible for me to take up the post.
    Thanks in advance to anyone who can help

2. Wondering if anyone knows much about how the following would work?
    I've got a full time permament contract, but would like to apply for another full time permanent post (ASN) in another authority. I'm hoping to start a family in the next couple of years. Does continuous service for the purpose of maternity leave and pay restart if you change authority? I'm obviously thinking way far ahead, not even filled out the application form yet, and there's obviously only a fairly slim chance of actually getting an interview and being offered the post, but I don't want to spend an hour or so filling in a form if it wouldn't really be possible for me to take up the post.
    Thanks in advance to anyone who can help

3. Hi,

I don't know what authority you are applying to but Glasgow pays you enhanced maternity pay even if you are on a temporary contract, as long as you were working there from the start of your pregnancy until 3 months before your due date. I became pregnant three months into my probation year with Glasgow and was happy to find that I received 100% maternity pay for the first 13 weeks and then statutory for the remaining 26 weeks, as opposed to the statutory of 6 weeks at 90% and then 33 weeks at the statutory. By the way, the statutory isn't actually that bad either as (depending obviously also on your partner's income), you get tax credits and child benefit that go some way to making up the difference.
    If you can, I would also advise timing the pregnancy in the way I did. Pregnant in November, due mid August - I put down to start my mat leave on the first day of the next term (14th Aug) which meant I had the whole summer holidays before that and didn't use any of my mat leave for my pregnancy!

Good luck.