1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

maternity leave and KIT days

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by mmmredwine, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Nope they do not have to allow KIT days in the same respect that I do not have to do them!
    I have asked and acting hod has asked but we have both been told no, that if I want a handover I can but only by going in to work and not getting paid. As i cannot afford the childcare I simply can't do this and in all honesty don't see why I should if he doesn't care about the results, the kids and his staff why should I??

2. Sorry in advance, this is not intended as an attack on you; neither am I being nasty, but I was thinking about the following -
    By going on maternity leave, I understand a teacher can get several months full pay and half pay for the rest of the year. That is a lot of pay for not going into work.
    Consider, would going into work for free on a couple of days, to be able to catch up on where the classes are at and to put your mind at rest to know you are fully prepared to go back to a full timetable, really be the end of the world just because the head won't pay?

3. Yes when it costs me money as I would need to pay a full day's childcare. But definitely worth looking at it from a different perspective so thank you. Also please don't think I am nit picking as I promise I am not but just to clarify - you don't get as much maternity as you think. I am now trying to remember but I think it is 6 weeks full pay, 6 weeks half pay then just SMP.

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Sorry in advance too but you are being a tad thick.

4 weeks: full pay (including SMP)

2 weeks: 90% pay (including SMP)

12 weeks: 50% pay plus flat rate SMP

21 weeks: Flat rate SMP

13 weeks: unpaid

I can't see the 'several months' full pay you speak of.... and of course even if she 'volunteers' to attend she will now be paying childcare!

5. ellbee

ellbee New commenter

Hahaha what school do you work in???
    Several months full pay= 4 weeks
    Half pay for the rest of the year= 12 weeks.
    Perhaps you should consider checking your facts before posting completely ill informed information. Sorry- this isn't intended as an attack on you; neither am I being nasty, just pointing out the REAL facts rather than a vague understanding ;)

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It's in your best interests to be in contact with the person who has been doing your job, isn't it? As the head says there is no money in the budget to pay you to come in (and there probably isn't - school budgets have been slashed), you could consider two means by which it wouldn't cost you:
    a) email correspondence with the acting HOD
    and/or
    b) why not invite him/her round to your house at a weekend? You could offer lunch and ask him/her to bring all records, etc, you could have a long chat and make notes about where the different groups are up to, etc.
    Just a thought.

7. I'm reading this with interest because i have a teacher in my department due to come back from maternity soon who has contacted me (hod) to ask if she can not actually teach for the first 2 days back. I'm not sure what to say. She's already had a kit day - should she ask HR for more and see whether granted? I don't see how i can get her lessons covered for this and am thinking surely you have to teach from your official start day back - or is that being harsh??

8. Oh yes I have, T shirt and all - 3 times over, but never while being paid to do another job! (maternity pay was not an option for me.)
    Stay at home mums (or dads or grandparents) being paid to do childcare, now that is a suggestion made to government several times over the years, but for some reason never they never put it into practice!

9. hello, sorry for later reply I have been away for a few days.

I would go into school but as previously mentioned I now have to pay childcare to do this. I would like to point out that I have actually done this for a full day, I don't have family nearby so had to pay a full day's wage to childmindrr but I thought the day very important so did it. I have also been in contact with acting hod constantly since I left and have had essays and coursework sent to me through the post fo r Kerry to moderate as I wanted to continue to support. I will go in and do a handover again at my own cost as I feel it is important for successful transition to the kids ands and to myself however it is the principle that I have issues with. I cannot see how paying me for one single day would cause that much of a financial issue. It only seems common sense that some sort of handover is necessary. This was what I wanted to get people's opinion on.