1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

maternity leave and exam marking

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by princess girl, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Hi all,

i just wodered if there were any problems with doing exam marking whilst on maternity leave? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Hi all,

i just wodered if there were any problems with doing exam marking whilst on maternity leave? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

3. GemLP

GemLP New commenter

Hi Princess,
    I don't think there should be as it is independent and not through your school so it is taxed at source, I guess it would be different if you were going on supply and still claiming maternity pay - i.e. technically having two jobs! I think the best thing you could do if you are unsure is to contact your HR department for advice.
    Sorry I dont know if this helps or not!
    Gem x

4. I think, if you're already doing it there's not a problem. But if you just start it whilst on mat leave, then it could be a problem. I'm awaiting HR to get back to me about this query though.
    However, I'm not sure if I'll be doing any this summer as baby's due a couple of weeks before the exam, so not sure if it's wise!

5. HR have got back to me this afternoon - I'm not allowed to do it.

6. Helenholmesuk

Helenholmesuk New commenter

I did this whilst on maternity last May. I looked everywhere to try and find the answer but struggled. In the end I found that as a marker you are self employed and this doesn't affect your maternity pay. You'll find this in your maternity conditions. Think about it first though - my little one was 5 weeks old and not in much of a routine so it wasn't easy.

7. Hi, I am doing it this year - I have been doing it the last 3 years and there were lots of women on my training day on maternity leave in previous years, I will be one of them this year :) If you have your contract already it will be fine. Good luck x

8. Hi All,

thanks for taking the time to reply - sorry I have not replied earlier, I have 2 nine week old babies to look after - exhausted but the double cuddles are definitely worth it.

I already have an examiners contract as I havebeen marking for a few years now, so i think I might well do it again thuis summer - they will be just over 5 months old at the time

cheers