1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity Leave - 53 weeks?!?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by sarahtomas2007, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Hi, I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct place, but would be very grateful for some help.
    A couple of weeks ago I had a meeting with my Head about returning after being on maternity leave. I asked to return a little early so as to be paid for the Easter holidays. She said they haven't got any money and I would have to return when the new term starts on 26th April. I asked if I could use some KIT days over the holiday time as I will need to go into school to move classrooms. (I left Year 3, but now have to return in Year 5.) She has agreed as long as the burser has already allocated the money in the budget.

I need to write my return to work letter and have realised that my maternity leave started on 19th April 2010 and therefore should I not return at least on 19th April 2011? This would mean being paid for one week of the Easter holiday. I contacted my union but they weren't very helpful and just said I am entitled to return on any date I like whether it's a holiday, Saturday or Sunday. I know money is tight - it is for all of us, and I don't want to 'rock the boat', but on the other hand I would like to have what I am entitled to. I thought I should email my Head to remind her when I started maternity leave and ask to return exactly a year later. I'm not really sure who else I can ask about this and was hoping someone here might be able to advise me.
    Thank you
    Sarah

2. Hi, I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct place, but would be very grateful for some help.
    A couple of weeks ago I had a meeting with my Head about returning after being on maternity leave. I asked to return a little early so as to be paid for the Easter holidays. She said they haven't got any money and I would have to return when the new term starts on 26th April. I asked if I could use some KIT days over the holiday time as I will need to go into school to move classrooms. (I left Year 3, but now have to return in Year 5.) She has agreed as long as the burser has already allocated the money in the budget.

I need to write my return to work letter and have realised that my maternity leave started on 19th April 2010 and therefore should I not return at least on 19th April 2011? This would mean being paid for one week of the Easter holiday. I contacted my union but they weren't very helpful and just said I am entitled to return on any date I like whether it's a holiday, Saturday or Sunday. I know money is tight - it is for all of us, and I don't want to 'rock the boat', but on the other hand I would like to have what I am entitled to. I thought I should email my Head to remind her when I started maternity leave and ask to return exactly a year later. I'm not really sure who else I can ask about this and was hoping someone here might be able to advise me.
    Thank you
    Sarah

3. I assume your post is being covered by someone with a temporary contract. The "there's no money" is rubbish as the day you choose to return to work is the day they stop paying your cover and start paying you. Sounds as though they are hoping to save a penny or two by enploying your cover until the start of the hols, and you after the hols.

4. Waterfin is spot on - what does your school mean, there is no money?! Ridiculous!

5. You can return on any date, provided you give the correct notice. I would agree with the others that they are looking to avoid paying someone over the holidays - you are prefectly entitled to return on the date of your choosing, so you are not rocking the boat.

There may be a clause in your contract that specifies "a mutually agreed date", but this is for people returning without taking the full entitlement. Going over a year with maternity leave may also affect your length of service (ie break it) so I would check very carefully before you agree to a later return.

Keep us posted!

6. Provided you are giving the required notice (usually 21 days, but possible as long as 8 weeks - check with HR at your LA) then there is no need to mutually agree a date, you are entitled to return on whatever day you wish, including the first day of the Easter holidays.