1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity jitters - mixed aged Y1/R

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Fluffychuffnuts, Apr 7, 2011.

1. I am returning to work at the begining of the next school year, when chatting to the Head he said there will be year one children in my EYFS class. I have to say this has filled me full of horror, haven't taught Y1 since the primary strategies came in. I've been reading some of the other posts about how people manage their time on a daily basis which have been really helpful. The bit I can't get my head around is the balance of child-initiated, I am so used to following the children's interests from dinosaurs to space to gardening etc. Do you conitinue to do this when there are Y1 children in the class too or do you present an over-arching topic that both age groups work with and cater for CI within this? Just a bit confused because I keep getting told that from next year there is a national trend for Reception to become more formal.
    All I know is that my head is now spinning and all I want to do is enjoy the last few weeks of my maternity leave with my gorgeous little girl. If anyone can give me a little clarity please help as I feel I am beginning to rant.
    Many thanks
    Fluffychuffnuts x
    P.S. Do unit plans for Lit & Num have to go in alphabetical order? Sorry I'm useless!

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Great choice of username ...

not