1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity Issue

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by LaylaLove, Mar 26, 2018.

1. LaylaLove

LaylaLove New commenter

Hi all,

I am in need of help with a particular dilemma. I was given the HOD role for a year's contract on the understanding that it will either be given permanently at the end of the year or removed dependent on my performance throughout the year. This was made clear in writing.

I am now pregnant and so this seems to have changed the heads mind. He is now giving my role to a member of SLT next year and states he will review this upon my return.

My issue is that he seems to be avoiding wanting to pay the TLR over the maternity period and then will give me the role back, but surely this is unfair.

I was hoping you might give me some advice as to what you might do in this situation. Thank you in advance.

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

I would consult your union rep, as it would be discriminatory to remove it from you because of your pregnancy. However, there could be other grounds that would not be...

3. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

As strawbs says, talk to your union rep. If you haven't already, search your e mails to see if you can find that "understanding" in writing or indeed any notes you made from that time (it is always a good idea to make a dated note of any conversations you have with SLT about roles!)

Good luck - both with your head and your pregnancy/motherhood.

4. baitranger

baitranger Established commenter

Presumably "the year", as referred to in your post, has not been completed yet, so your head can't yet evaluate your performance throughout it.