1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity - How it works?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by stewartmiss, Jul 7, 2019.

1. stewartmiss

stewartmiss New commenter

Hello,

After recently getting married I am trying to get my head round how maternity pay works as we are thinking of starting our family.

I have just completed my probationary year and now have a temporary job within the same local authority for term one (with the potential that there is a possibility the job could become permanent).

After looking around I found the image attached. Does my probationary year count towards the 1 year 11 months? My temporary job will also count towards this requirement...Does that then mean I need to secure a full time permanent job after to still qualify? Also would I go back to working needing to work 1 year 11 months if U changed authority?

Sorry for the many questions, trying to get my head round things. If anyone has any informative sites they recommend that would also be great.
    Screenshot_20190707-092118.jpg

2. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

If you change authority you lose the right to maternity pay. I worked for 6 years in one LEA then moved to another. Shortly afterwards I became pregnant and was only entitled to Maternity Allowance.

3. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Some LAs will accept continuous service from another LA, but it is luck of the draw. Academies etc. are exempt and can do what they like, even if they follow the burgundy book. Your NQT year will be included in your time of service, so two jobs with the same LA (NQT year and then temporary for a term) should give you enough time to be in receipt of occupational maternity pay, as well as statutory maternity pay.

I had a baby 1 year and 1 term after starting with a new school (so pregnant in the April of my first year there) and was entitled to both.

Maternity pay is a nightmare to figure out, or I found it was, anyway.