1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity covers

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Lucilla90, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

It seems a lot of schools are using supply for maternity cover.

Is this because it works out cheaper, not having to pay holiday pay, sick pay etc...?

It sounds like a raw deal, to me. Suppose it’s no different from any long term assignment. Except you know roughly when it may end.

BetterNow likes this.
  2. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

It is cheaper for them. The upside for supply is that it’s guaranteed work without waiting for the phone to ring but you do have all the planning, marking and report writing to do and yes, no holiday or sick pay. But that’s the way it is in supply.

3. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Why not just get a "proper" teaching job and send half your wages to me, instead of the Supply Agency?

BetterNow and Lucilla90 like this.
  4. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

:D

5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Perhaps it's just a very small sample but I've found that there are a lot of HRs in school that couldn't organise a p**s-up in a brewery. So wording a slightly different contract and producing it within a few weeks isn't possible. Whereas just ringing an agency.........

sbkrobson likes this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It is very difficult to get a full -time replacement for a maternity cover - who is going to leave a full time position to take one that will last 6 months.

Hence it is generally a supply teacher

One of these got me a full time position again when I was on supply four years ago.

BetterNow likes this.
  8. The-Gaffer

The-Gaffer Occasional commenter

Interestingly being PE & male generally I'm unsuitable for maternity covers as PE tend to still teach single sex - not in all schools - I just gloss over those but the adverts for maternity are there

I have applied for a summer term PE position through an advert yet just worked he last term through an agency. I guess it's school dependant & maybe a combination of planning on the part of the school. Where I am now didn't have time to advertise after they appointed & got let down, this other school have a couple of weeks to appoint. If everyone is unsuitable (including me) maybe I'll get the job through the agency

JohnJCazorla likes this.