1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity Cover - Summer Pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Ariel13, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Here is my problem - any answers much appreciated!!
    I have just started a maternity cover post which was advertised for two terms. Spring and Summer.
    I spoke to the HeadTeacher on the phone when he offered me the job and specifically asked him whether I would get paid until the end of summer August 31st. He said The contract should state the end date of August 31st so yes but I will check. ( He didn't)
    I have been working at the school for a week and still haven't received my contract yet. Other members of staff have then mentioned that the pregnant teacher is coming back around June July time.
    Obviously so she can claim summer pay. I have no argument against her - I would probabaly do the same.
    I then spoke to the HT on Friday and asked him whether I would still get my summer pay as I have heard the teacher is coming back before the end of term.
    He replied that the school couldn't afford to employ two of us for the same role - which I understand. But he MAY be able to keep me on as PPA cover or something similar therefore I would get some summer pay. (Although this would be hardly anything compared to a teachers wage right?)
    So now I am angry and also confused.
    Is there anything I can do to get that summer pay? Can I refuse to sign the contract? Can I look elsewhere and leave? Will that affect me?
    I know this is typical of maternity cover and it has happened many times before. This is only my 2nd year of teaching so I have gone in a bit clueless I admit that. But this is really unfair!!

2. Here is my problem - any answers much appreciated!!
    I have just started a maternity cover post which was advertised for two terms. Spring and Summer.
    I spoke to the HeadTeacher on the phone when he offered me the job and specifically asked him whether I would get paid until the end of summer August 31st. He said The contract should state the end date of August 31st so yes but I will check. ( He didn't)
    I have been working at the school for a week and still haven't received my contract yet. Other members of staff have then mentioned that the pregnant teacher is coming back around June July time.
    Obviously so she can claim summer pay. I have no argument against her - I would probabaly do the same.
    I then spoke to the HT on Friday and asked him whether I would still get my summer pay as I have heard the teacher is coming back before the end of term.
    He replied that the school couldn't afford to employ two of us for the same role - which I understand. But he MAY be able to keep me on as PPA cover or something similar therefore I would get some summer pay. (Although this would be hardly anything compared to a teachers wage right?)
    So now I am angry and also confused.
    Is there anything I can do to get that summer pay? Can I refuse to sign the contract? Can I look elsewhere and leave? Will that affect me?
    I know this is typical of maternity cover and it has happened many times before. This is only my 2nd year of teaching so I have gone in a bit clueless I admit that. But this is really unfair!!

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

In my experience of doing two maternity covers the contract always stated that the post was until the teacher returned, rather than a specific end date I think. In both cases I was paid for the summer holiday as the teachers decided not to return. Others will know better than me, but I'm sure you will have accrued some holiday pay if you are being paid on contract rather than supply rates.
    Have now checked the wording on both of my contracts.
    This was the first:
    This is a temporary contract with effect from start date maternity cover for name of teacher, the apointment will cease following the return or resignation of name of teacher.
    The second:
    This is a temporary contract with effect from start date maternity cover for name of teacher until her return or resignation whichever is the sooner - end date to be advised by school.

4. Ok thanks for your reply.
    I take it my verbal conversation with the Head means nothing really?
    I guess I'll have to wait and see what my contract says.

5. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

I THINK the burgandy book states that for any full term a teacher cannot recieve less than 4 months salary - thus, if you work Jan-July, ie two full terms, you must recieve 8 months pay which would be til the end of August. HOWEVER, they can probably get round this by finishing your contract 2 days before the end of term or something, and therefore you haven't worked a full term so don't get 4 months salary. I'm not sure though, others will know more than me. Something that might be worth looking in to though, esp if the other teacher chooses to return on day 1 of the summer hols, rather than a week before the end of term.

6. PPJ

PPJ

Maternity cover different (unless they've changed it recently), they can return 1st day summer holidays to get full pay over summer, you get paid till last day of term. Ask to be paid as daily supply over summer term instead.