1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity cover PE jobs

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, Nov 2, 2011.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, give yourself a pat on the back here for finding a question that has me stumped!
    An employer is allowed to specify a particular gender where there is a ‘Genuine Occupational Qualification’ which states that the duties or nature of a specific job demand that the employee is of a particular gender. So, someone sleeping as part of their job in or near a girls' dormitory and being required to enter the dormitory.
    But whether Girls' PE counts as this, I am not sure. Wouldn't think so, but I do not know. It might in an all-girls school where the majority of the pupils are muslim, I would think.
    In your GTP - did you do PE for girls? Or mixed PE?
    If so, I cannot really see how you can be an inappropriate candidate for a job.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If the female teacher has a timetable orientated towards girls, running netball teams etc. then yes they may want to replace with another female, but it's always worth a shot in case they're flexible.

3. Theo, thanks for your response.My GTP was at an all boys school thoughI did teach mixed and all girls (including dance) on my second placement.
    I'll weigh up my options and see if I thinks it's worth my while to apply
    Cheers for all your help

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Er . . . that would be illegal, Lara!
    They could say that they wanted someone able to run netball teams, but they couldn't say that they wanted a female, just because they think that only females can run netball teams . . .
    You can specify one gender or another (either openly or secretly among the appointing panel members) only according to the exceptions that the law allows.
    [​IMG]<a>Can jobs ever be restricted to one sex?[/URL]
    In very limited circumstances, there are some jobs which can require that the job-holder is a man or a woman. This is known as an 'occupational requirement'. The list of occupational requirements is restricted. One example is where the job holder is likely to work in circumstances where members of one sex are in a state of undress and might reasonably object to the presence of a member of the opposite sex such as a bra-fitting service. http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1814
    So they cannot adverise for a maternity cover PE teacher (which of course means that it is replacing a female), and then disqualify all male applicants just because they are male.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I was actually thinking more in terms of 'safeguarding'; needing to go into girl's changing rooms etc.

6. Is this jobadvert breaking the law?
    https://www.tes.co.uk/JobDetailssilver.aspx?ac=3025311&qry=parametrics%3dJOBCATEGORYCODE%7c10545%2cJOBCATEGORYCODE%7c10804%26PageNo%3d1&cur=1&rslt=21&UK=true

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Not if the school believes (and has probably checked with a lawyer) that there is a genuine occupational qualification, as set out in the prevailing legislation, because the duties or the nature of this post require the teacher to be of a particular gender
    But they cannot just refuse to shortlist male applicants because they want someone to run a netball team, and think that only women play netball.
    Best wishes
    Edit

8. Doing my GTP last year, there was a PE GTP too - he often taught girls classes, and the female staff taught boys classes -
    They blokes supervised the girls changing and vice-versa, then each took over when the changing was done. It was never a problem.