1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity Cover Pay

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hearnshaw86, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Not sure if this is in the right place but i'll bore you regardless. I am currently on a maternity cover that is due to end on the 31st March, my HT has told me I will stay on until the teacher comes back. I have been to speak to the bursar regarding holiday pay and she has told me I will be paid on a pro-rata basis. I'm not too sure how to work out how much I will be paid if, for example, she came back on the very last day of term?
    The teacher is not expected back until September but I would imagine she will choose to come back with a week left so she can take the holiday pay.
    Any advice would be brilliant!

2. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

The teacher would be very stupid not to come back on the first day of the summer holidays, so that they get full pay from then on.
    LA school?
    Usual arrangement is that you are paid until the return of the postholder. So in the case of her returning at the start of the holiday, you don't get any summer holiday pay.
    Another option is that you work the summer term on a supply basis, which is a higher daily rate to cover the fact that you aren't paid for the holidays. (195/365 x salary)
    Some schools/LAs may keep you on the payroll after the postholder returns, but they don't have to.
    Since what the bursar said doesn't sound like the standard procedure, I would push for more detail, preferably in writing.

3. Thanks for the reply. I should have probably mentioned i'm at an independent school so i'm not sure if things are different.

4. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

The postholder is still legally entitled to return at whatever point she chooses, so the bit about them returning at the start of the summer is still likely to apply.
    With an independent, you'll need to ask the bursar for more details about the holiday pay, unless it's laid down in the pay policy or your contract. If you go through to the end of the summer term, does that mean you'll get all the summer holiday paid? How much pay will you lose for each week earlier that she comes back?