1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity Cover Job

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Mrbusiness96, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Mrbusiness96

Mrbusiness96 New commenter

I have recently took on a position for a Maternity cover job that will start in September, and it is expected that the teacher will return just before Easter. My ideal situation would be to secure a permanent job if possible.

Would you advise for me to keep applying for jobs and hopefully get one for January start - don't like to let the school down though as I would have only covered a term

Or hopefully secure a job that would start after easter - not sure how many jobs would be available for an easter start

Any advice/points/information would be great!

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If you see a permanent post you want to apply for, go for it. Be polite and apologetic when asking your head for a reference, but explain that you need to ensure you have work in the longer term. They should understand.
    If the teacher you're covering changes their mind, you could find you're ousted in February, so it would be foolish not to apply because you might be letting the school down.

Jobs do come up year round, although they're more likely to be temporary, as sometimes schools are reluctant to make a permanent appointment from the smaller field of applicants. It's probably worth trying to find out the reason for the vacancy. It might be that someone has secured a promotion or other move mid-year, but if they've left due to stress or capability, proceed with caution. Obviously they're not going to tell you in the latter case, but you may be able to read between the lines. It's not to say that the same will happen to you, but if it's the "difficult class" that has had four teachers in two years...

agathamorse likes this.
  3. max_779

max_779 New commenter

Hi @frustum Do jobs come up all year round? I am a Secondary MFL NQT with no job :( Loosing the will...

4. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

When I went on maternity (September) my cover left at Christmas to start a permanent role. It was understood by all. particularly as I had said I would return after Feb half term which would’ve left her jobless.
    Go by the book and don’t burn bridges, but do what’s right for you as well.

agathamorse likes this.