1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity cover for my new class

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by nearly qualified, Mar 5, 2011.

1. HI
    I teache a FS class will be on Maternity leave in September (returning after Christmas) My HT has not even mentioned what he is doing about my job/cover for my class yet - I have asked him if he has discussed it with Governors and all he said was 'yes - I told them your plans'!
    I want to know really because they need to start advertising soon surely and also because it if FS there is a lot of transition that takes place in the Summer term with nurseries/pre-schools and the children coming to my class for 4 afternoons and I was hoping that we could maybe share the visits with the new teacher and ask her to be involved in some of the visit afternoons so the children can get to know her.
    I am really conscious that the children will see me on their visits and then in September will have a completley new face to deal with which will be very confusing for them.
    When do you think this should be taking place?
    Thanks x

2. HI
    I teache a FS class will be on Maternity leave in September (returning after Christmas) My HT has not even mentioned what he is doing about my job/cover for my class yet - I have asked him if he has discussed it with Governors and all he said was 'yes - I told them your plans'!
    I want to know really because they need to start advertising soon surely and also because it if FS there is a lot of transition that takes place in the Summer term with nurseries/pre-schools and the children coming to my class for 4 afternoons and I was hoping that we could maybe share the visits with the new teacher and ask her to be involved in some of the visit afternoons so the children can get to know her.
    I am really conscious that the children will see me on their visits and then in September will have a completley new face to deal with which will be very confusing for them.
    When do you think this should be taking place?
    Thanks x

3. Hi,
    I'd say this is not your problem so don't worry about it! I'm sure they'll find someone in time for all the transition meetings. The bulk of jobs usually come up around easter and I'll bet they're going to get an NQT- is it only for one term? Are you starting mat leave in September and going back after Christmas?
    Maybe I'm harsh but you're going on maternity leave to have your own baby so don't fret about what's going to be done with your class when you're not there!

4. HI
    I know, thats what my husband keeps saying - its not my problem - but I am a worrier and want t o make sure everything is ok for my new children as I will have to pick them up again later in the year.
    Yes I leave at Summer and go back after Christmas unfortunatley - just can't afford to take longer off : (

5. If the teacher in question has a post at another school during the summer term they may not be able to visit your school then anyway.
    I don't know how big your school is - mine is very large - but it's possible covering your maternity leave is only one of several staffing issues your HT has to face.
    To be honest, it doesn't sound like a very desirable post - one term only. Most prospective candidates would ignore the advert if it appeared now in the hope of something better turning up. Do you have any supply teachers who you use regularly who might be willing to do it? The head can just offer the post to them - no need for advertising etc and they'd probably be around for your introductions in the Summer term too.