1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity Cover Expectation Setting

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by c616williams, Oct 23, 2017.

1. c616williams

c616williams New commenter

Hi All
    I will soon be starting at a new school where I will be filling in as maternity cover, my subject is RE so therefore have a mix of all year groups, from yr 7- 13.
    I completed my NQT year last year, and my biggest area for development is Behaviour Management. I don't want to be seen in the eyes of my students as 'the cover teacher we can mess around with' so am looking for some expectation setting ideas for lesson 1. I've got a few resources which I can use for lower down the school, year 7 and at a push year 8, however I'm more concerned with setting expectations with my Year 10/11 groups (I have been warned that one of my yr 10 groups can be a bit tricky) I'm just wondering if anyone has any resources/tips they can share for getting off to a good strong start with such year groups? Really appreciate any help, thanks.

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Hello, it must be an exciting well as a little anxious time for you but it's great that you are thinking ahead.

I would get hold of the schools behaviour policy and ask plenty of questions about the procedure for backup. Then I'd go in tough since you can always lighten things up later once you've set hard and steadfast boundaries. Students need your boundaries to be very clear to start with.

JohnJCazorla and strawbs like this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Agree with post #2.

In addition I'd suggest communicating with your HoD to get hold of departmental resources - maybe do an induction day before you start? You could ask to sit on one of their Y10/11 lessons on that day to get an idea as to how to approach teaching similar groups.

Plus, perhaps look for resources on this (the TES) site, and also try asking on the relevant subject Forum, if you haven't done so already.

JohnJCazorla and strawbs like this.
  4. felicity5183

felicity5183 Occasional commenter

I second the posts that mention following the behaviour policy. You need to do this to the absolute letter! Make sure that your expectations are clear and consistent from the beginning. Let them know that you are not simply a ‘cover teacher’ who they can mess about. You are a qualified teacher who is there to teach, and you mean business! Hope it goes well :)

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Established commenter

There is an easy trap for you to fall into which is make the lesson all-singing and dancing to engage the little So-and-Sos. "Get them on your side" and other such cliches.

This is a good idea in itself but have a printout ready for when you need to say, "Sit down, shut up and get on with this". The same printout is a good document for any removed ones to take with them as well.

FrankWolley and felicity5183 like this.
  6. felicity5183

felicity5183 Occasional commenter

V good advice :)

7. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Yes, I'd go with having plenty of work ready, if you keep them busy there is less time for any activities that may cause you or anyone else concern.

FrankWolley likes this.
  8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

You need to know exactly what you're teaching to every group.
    As others have said, they are answering firstly to you, so you implement discipline first of all. However, in the event of repeated failure to cooperate they need to know that the normal chain of hierarchy will descend on them.
    Good luck.