1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity cover early termination

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by cyclops77, Mar 2, 2016.

1. cyclops77

cyclops77 New commenter

Dear all,

I have been a full time teacher for a comprehensive school since last September. Following a string of issues with one key player (albeit not my own line manager) I found myself today with the confirmation that not only I will not be offered an extension after Easter but also that my maternity cover will come to an end next Friday (not even at the end of March!) Is this even legal? Unbeknownst to me, the school's contract included a cheeky clause of only one week's notice and on top of that the letter clearly states that I would only be paid until the end of the next week. I feel I am being treated worse than agency supply teachers although I have not even been through disciplinary procedures at all. Obviously I had been looking elsewhere for jobs after Easter but this final act of discrimination will put me in a precarious situation with six full weeks unpaid. Any help will be much appreciated. regards. Frank.

2. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

How horrible for you, and I hate to say this but I am fairly sure it is legal :( It's because teachers taking maternity leave can be quite flexible about when they come back (to a point obviously.)

I'm really sorry. I hope I am wrong.

cyclops77 likes this.
  3. delftlover

delftlover New commenter

Contact union asap.

cyclops77 likes this.
  4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh, how disappointing for you. Really awful to have that news. I am very sorry to hear this.

However, it would seem to be part of your contractual agreement with the school, and thus apparently legal.

Not cheeky at all, fairly common in fact in maternity contracts, as the member of staff might wish to return at fairly short notice. It doesn't say in the contract that this short notice is only if she is returning, does it? That would be unusual to be honest; it's generally quite straightforwardly one week's notice. And they have given you that?

Not sure how it could be unbeknownst to you, since presumably you received a copy of the contract and signed it . . . after reading it . . .

Yes, you are in an unhappy and disadvantageous situation. The other issue (I may be making things worse for you here) is that if, as you seem to suggest in your post, you have been given your contractual notice because of some sort of issue with another teacher, this may be reflected in the reference that they write. If they even agree to write one. :(

You could contact your union and ask for help over the reference issue at the very least. My fear is that since the one week's notice is in your contract, then one week it may have to be.

This is very sad.

With best wishes for gaining a post for next term.

cyclops77 likes this.
  5. Luke66

Luke66 New commenter

Have you asked for feedback why it's ending early?

cyclops77 likes this.