1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity cover direct?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by HS65, Jul 19, 2019.

1. HS65

HS65 New commenter

Morning all .... quick question. I’m going to be discussing a maternity leave cover direct with a school, initially from January til September.

Anything I should consider carefully first?

I’m assuming you usually get salaried like permanent teachers rather than daily/weekly paid?

Anything I can do to ensure I don’t lose out salary wise in any way?

Thanks

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

If you’re employed direct with the school then it should be a standard 52 week maternity contract with the option of terminating early due to the permanent employee returning, with notice, early from maternity leave. Eg, she might return on the first day of a school holiday. If you have worked a full term you should be paid for the holiday after it.

There is this uncertainty with maternity contracts eg what if the pregnancy doesn’t go full term? There is nothing you can do about those uncertainties. You can be sure to agree the exact salary you will earn eg what point on what scale? Then it should be paid monthly with all their other payroll.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. HS65

HS65 New commenter

Thanks for that.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you are put on contract it will state that you are to be employed until a specific date 'or the return of the permanent postholder'. That would mean that if she 'returned ' on the first day of the summer break her normal pay would kick in immediately and your employment and pay would stop.

You would, in those circumstances, be better off financially being on the official daily pay rate (annual salary divided by 195) as that would give you some holiday pay in advance for the days worked in that term. You would lose sick pay entitlement and could be 'let go' even earlier if they decide that they can cover the timetable for the last few weeks of term without you.
    If you ask format daily pay for the summer term, make sure they do not divide the salary by 365! It should be by the 194 days that contract teachers must be in the premises.

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Of course, if the postmodern takes longer off work you would get paid over the 6 week summer break instead of getting the approximately 3weeks of holiday pay from daily rate over the summer term.
    But daily rate over the Autumn term (the longest term) would generate more holiday pay than you get paid for on contract, if you are not off sick ( unpaid on daily rate).
    Personally I'd accept a contracted position and if news filters through about the postholder is returning early, I'd think again about whether to ask for a switch to daily rate after the holiday following the Spring term.

6. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

The school should have the capacity to hire you directly on payroll on a fixed term contract, which is better for everyone. This means that you are a member of staff, you can pay into you pension scheme, the school would have to give you a month's notice if the absent teacher decided to come back early and you should be paid to scale. Most schools apply STPCD conditions, so they school can't negotiate your wage down. For the school, the advantage is that you can't flit off, if the agency decides to place you somewhere else, you are more likely to be committed to teaching and learning and should your efforts impress them, they won't have to pay a finder's fee to the agency if they decide to keep you on staff for another cover session or even take you on full time. win win.