1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity Cover Dilemma

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by kiff1972, Mar 24, 2016.

1. kiff1972

kiff1972 New commenter

I am currently studying for my PGCE and am in my second placement. During my jobsearching, I have been offered a maternity cover post at a very good local school.

This could mean I am working for less than a year, and have my NQT year to think about.

Do I take it with gratitude, or should I keep looking...and what about such posts do I need to be aware of?

This is my first job, so am very cautious!
    Any advice gratefully received.

2. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Ask if they're intending to register you as an NQT, and give you the 10% remission from timetable that goes with that.
    Be aware that when the teacher on maternity comes back, that's the end for you. You need to be clear about how much of your NQT year you'll complete.

3. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Could you ask if they'll let you do a full year, obvoulsy taking on other duties perhaps? Can you evn do this on NQT now? Remember the woman may or may not come back-could be handy for the school to have someone who might be available. Lots of women end up taking more time off than they expected for lots of reasons-you can't always plan these things.

kiff1972 likes this.
  4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

If it is a good school and induction programme then its well worth considering.With an induction period each term is banked so if you complete 1 or 2 terms then these can be carried on to the next school and you would only have one term to complete to finish induction. This could make you a good prospect for a school looking for an NQT with only 1 term to do rather than 3. This does depend upon the timing as there are fewer induction posts available in September so you need to be available in the summer term to catch the appointments.
    In addition induction periods can be shortened if you are making good progress and of course there may be a permanent post available in the school by next year

kiff1972 likes this.
  5. kiff1972

kiff1972 New commenter

Thank you - that helped me ask the right questions!

6. kiff1972

kiff1972 New commenter

Thank you - I've been in touch with the school, and as I have 15 years TA experience, they are hopeful I will be qualified by the time I leave. Am finding it all a bit complicated, so I appreciate your input.

7. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

kiff1972 likes this.