1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity cover contracts

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by katnoodle, Mar 3, 2011.

1. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

Apologies if this has been asked already recently.
    I really want to apply for a maternity cover post as an NQT. I'm just wondering what the deal is with maternity covers. The advert says they're looking for someone to cover the full academic year from September, but I understood that if the person on maternity wanted to come back early, she is entitled to do so. If this is correct, could the school terminate the contract early, or do they have to honour what's in the advert?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Yes you're right the decision when to return is up to the teacher, but your contract will have a specified time limit- possibly for two terms conract with option to 'continue' on a weekly supply basis.That's what happened to me before.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

On the other hand . . .
    Very many maternity contracts have a condition that they can give you short notice - very short notice - if the post holder decides to return to work.
    If, for instance, she loses the baby (God forbid), then she might well wish to return to school asap to get the days filled . . .
    So there is provision written into the contracts to allow the school to give you notice and enable her to return.
    Do read it carefully so that you know whatt he situation is.
    Best wishes
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!