1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity cover contracts - always ask this question

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by supply slave, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Will the contract be honoured if the teacher returns early?
    Many contracts have a clause written into them saying they can terminate the contract with little or no notice. I was lucky that the school had not done this and so have to honour the remainder after they tried to terminate with just one days notice.

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Interesting. Was your contract direct with the school/LEA though? I can't imagine that working with an Agency, but I stand to be corrected.

3. It takes a lot of balls, but draw a line through the bit of the contract you think is unreasonable, initial it and return it to the contractor and say "I'm not prepared to agree to this particular term", can we waive it?

People don't like rocking the boat and contracts have become in some cases, more unreasonable due to this fact

They'd probably respect you for not being a pushover who is prepared to have the pi$$ taken out of them. As that's what those terms amount to.

4. My past contracts for maternity leave, and another for long term sickness, were indefinite contracts, there was no end date specified. In the case of a maternity leave, the teacher last minute decided to return for the last day of the summer term, my claim to holiday entitlement going with it. I was lucky that the school decided to keep me the last day and paid me the July August holiday pay at their discretion.

5. bozbear

bozbear New commenter

the teacher I covered came back two days before easter. School kept me til the last day of term to handoer but i didnt get paid for easter holidays she did.