1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity cover as supply

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by ozzgirl102, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Hi,

I am covering maternity leave in a reception class from Sept to Dec 2011, part-time. I am still an nqt, two years after qualifying. As it is long-term supply, do I treat it as I would a day's supply or is much more expected of me? I haven't been told I can use it to start my induction so am not sure how to play it. Also I have only worked in reception doing the odd day's supply so am really going in blind!

2. I would have thought much more will be expected of you but you need to talk to your school. I really feel maternity covers should be done on contract - there is no need for them to be done as supply. Make some noises about it counting towards your induction as well, as this is the chance to get a term done.
    When I did long term supply I did everything the class teacher would do - lesson planning, IEPs and parents' evenings.
    If you have little experience of Reception then see if you can go and visit a few times in the last few weeks of term.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

My advice would be that much more is expected and if you want a reference and an opportunity to start NQT you treat it as a 'regular post'. Even on supply my advice is always to treat each day as though it were the start of a permanent post- you may get asked back & you do want things to deteriorate because you treated it as a 'Fill-in'.
    Even if in for a few days I do everything a 'normal class teacher' would. How else can I gain the respect of colleagues & pupils?
    Every day in education is important, those children will never have those days again & we can't afford to let those children down.

4. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

There's no way that an Induction term can be complted on a part-time Mmaternity cover designed to last just one school term. Having said that, the regulations are clear that if employment is planned to last a term's length, even if on a p/t basis, it MUST be on an Induction basis if you are expected to plan and assess.
    An Induction term could be completed if the permanent teacher extended their ML ir if the temporary NQT were kept on to cover another teacher's absence.
    From the TDA website:
    "If a newly qualified teacher (NQT) takes up a part-time position they can still undertake induction and any appointment that lasts for a term or more will count towards the induction are therefore maternity leave cover and long-term sick leave cover."

5. Sorry, how dozy am I - forgot the OP is doing it part time!