1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity confusion - advice pls

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by lucy315, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Hi I have read up using the b-book and followed different threads yet I am still a bit confused so would be ever so grateful of any advice. I moved to a new LA and started my new teaching job in Sept 2011. I am now pregnant ( due approx 21st November 2012) and I am trying to work out my maternity pay.

I have/ will have .... Over 3 years continuous service at old school. It changed to an academy before I left for one term. 11th/12th week EWC will be due date from sept- 1 year with current school/new LA. I Won't have worked a year by 15th week EWC as stated in b- book. I will be about 3 weeks off.

I'm sorry if this is not worded very well. I think I'm category B but the whole academy change for one term has really confused me. I am trying to enjoy the exciting news but keep getting wound up trying to work it out. Will obviously phone union / HR etc at some point but thought I would utilise the wealth of knowledge available here. :) Thanks Lx

P.s happy Easter :)

2. chocolateheaven

chocolateheaven New commenter

My previous school changed to an Academy in the January, and I left at the end of the school year. I started my new job, in a different LA, in Sept. I fell preg in December, and gave birth the following Sept. I received full entitlement. Sure that you will too. Hope that makes sense!

3. Thank you for taking the time to reply :). That reassures me! If you don't mind me asking- surely your EWC was before the 11th/ 15th week stipulations? Thanks Lx

4. chocolateheaven

chocolateheaven New commenter

Nope, was well within it. You have to have been working for current employer for 26 weeks by the 25th week of your pregnancy (15 weeks before your EWC). I started on Sept 1st 2010. I was due to give birth on Sept 22nd 2011. I was 25 weeks pregnant on June 9th, which was 40 weeks after I began there.
    If your due date is 21st November, you will be 25 weeks pregnant on August 9th (if my calculations are right). By the, it will be 49 weeks since you started on Sept 1st 2011. I think that you're calculating your dates from the start of your pregnancy, rather than counting backwards from your due date. The Burgendy Book states: "date
    A is given as 11 weeks before your estimated week of childbirth; date B
    is given as 15 weeks before your estimated week of childbirth."

Really hope that makes sense - not sure that I've explained it clearly!

5. Ahhh. You have explained it very clearly thank you. I think I have mixed up dates. I was under the impression that I had to have completed the year with LA by 15th week before EWC but actually that's the other date ( 11th week) I see! Well I think. :). I am usually switched on with things like like this - honestly! Thanks x