1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity Clothes

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by egyptgirl, Apr 16, 2011.

1. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I'm 10 weeks pregnant and I need to buy some maternity clothes. My regular 'everyday' clothes are already becoming a bit too tight (there is a tiny bump there already!) and I'm wearing my husband's shirts and trackies around the house. There is no way I can go back to work after Easter in my normal everyday clothes. They will be too uncomfortable.
    I don't have huge amounts of money to spend but I'm a bit clueless as to who does good maternity wear and who to avoid?
    Any advice greatly appreciated!

2. Congratulations on your pregnancy!
    When my friend was pregnant (recently given birth) we went shopping for her. Mamas and Papas is very expensive, but she found H&M brilliant. She bought loads of tops/cardis/leggings/jeans/coat/etc. It was mainly casual stuff though, so maybe you could try Dorothy Perkins or Next maternity for a few shirts/trousers for work?
    Hope that helps? x

3. I live in leggings and wear tunics/dresses over them. I have had to buy some bigger leggings and bigger tops to go over them but I don't think I've spent much at all.... and I will try to continue that way.
    I was growing very big at 10 weeks and continued to, but I was still able to wear lots of my own clothes because it just so happens that my style of clothing were/are comfy tunics/long tops and dresses anyway.
    For better value clothing, I've shopped at supermarkets and Matalan and have got some really nice clothing for work and outside work. I also splashed out on a couple of nice boots to wear over the leggings :) but I would have bought those anyway!

4. New Look was always a favourite of mine!

5. I'll second ebay. I've managed to get lots of nearly new stuff for a fraction of the shop prices. I just give it all a good wash before I wear it.

6. egyptgirl

Thanks for the advice! I never even considered ebay!

7. I used bump bands (thick bands of elastic that mean that you can wear your trousers undone underneath. I think the ones I bought were 'Bando' ones although you can get cheaper ones) throughout my pregnancy with my work trousers so that I didn't have to buy any maternity trousers for work. I didn't find that they worked so well with jeans though so I did buy some maternity jeans from Next and New Look.
    NCT sales are fantastic for picking up some maternity bargains too. You can find the dates of sales near you on the website.

8. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I'd definitely have a look on ebay. I didn't get anything on ebay myself, but i plan to sell my maternity stuff on there so someone will be getting some bargains soon!
    I'm 38 weeks pregnant with my 2nd baby and i bought myself a few nice things this time, whereas in my first pregnancy i didn't show for quite a while. I have a couple of nice dresses which have been good for work - one from Mamas & Papas and one from Jojomamanbébé. H&M do some nice clothes too. I wore leggings and long tops quite a bit.

9. mollymillions

mollymillions New commenter

I'm in much the same boat - I tried two H&Ms over the weekend and one of them had nothing, the other one had a few long tops which I can wear over my normal trousers if I use a safety pin instead of the button!

Dorothy Perkins had some nice stuff for work but I'm not quite big enough (and a bit too poor) to buy full-on maternity gear yet so I'm going to try and "make do" for as long as I can. Matalan has got loads of cheap stuff but that can vary a lot between stores as well.

10. mollymillions

mollymillions New commenter

I'm in much the same boat - I tried two H&Ms over the weekend and one of them had nothing, the other one had a few long tops which I can wear over my normal trousers if I use a safety pin instead of the button!

Dorothy Perkins had some nice stuff for work but I'm not quite big enough (and a bit too poor) to buy full-on maternity gear yet so I'm going to try and "make do" for as long as I can. Matalan has got loads of cheap stuff but that can vary a lot between stores as well.

11. congrats :)
    ebay, new look, dorothy perkins, H&M and just buying bigger sizes with lycra in them worked for me!

12. I have found most maternity clothes to be rather uninspiring but got some great cheap jeans which fitted really nicely from peacocks- about £15.99. For work I wore a mixture of leggings (Topshop maternity) and I had some nice linen maternity trousers from NEXT- which I think were about £22. These were very comfy!
    New look has had some good bits in. I bought a nice wrap around dress in there the other week which was half price at £12.99. They have maternity vests as well which I wore with one of my usual cardigans and a scarf to dress it up for work.Now I have finished work I just squeeze into whatever I can [​IMG]
    Good luck with everything. Happy shopping xx

13. I had a few mamas and papas bits from ebay- I had outgrown all of these by about month 8 but everything else I had I was still able to wear.
    Ebay is brilliant, Next jeans seemed to fit me best and leggings are easy and comfortable to wear but I looked like a sack of potatoes in them so never wore them.
    ASOS maternity is also good. I found dresses most comfortable- wear with leggings for work and wihout in the heat.

14. Paradoxicalgirly

Paradoxicalgirly New commenter

I agree that Ebay is a good place to find mat stuff - both new and second hand! As I can't now get out to shops, it's been a godsend recently! Am currently wearing a pair of cropped leggings I bought new from Ebay for £8 to go under a summer dress my mum brought back from the States. And I bought a really comfy skirt from Poland! Think the seller was expert-pl or something like that!
    Be careful with jeans - if the denim's too heavy the over bump thing might not be strong enough to keep them up!! I more or less live in my Mothercare jeans, which were my first maternity purchase back in December, and are so comfy.
    Also Mamas and Papas have 50% sales now and again - I bought a couple of pairs of trousers from there which I wore loads when I could still get to work. And my mum took me there a couple of weeks ago and I got a gorgeous blouse in the sale, which will do me after I've had baby as well!

15. I was always a bit of a Next girl for work and have got myself some trousers from there but there seems to be limited in store, if at all, so ordered on line. I got smart black work trousers for £22 and have now just got some linen trousers with jersery panels for £20, they do them in black and navy and different lengths. Have you got any friends who may have some clothes stashed away? I was given a holdall full of clothes from a friend of mine to borrow, which initially I thought would be far to big and I'd never fit in them but they have come in handy!
    I always have a little look in mothercare as they often have a sale rail. I did also get a great pair of jeans from H&M although have decided not to take any notice of their sizings as instead of a 12 I had to get 16.

16. I also got some really good (and extremely cheap- cheaper than ebay) maternity clothes from a local NCT sale. Would really recommend- as mentioned earlier look on the NCT website to find out where and when they're on.
    Clothes I bought new came from Debenhams, Dorothy Perkins, Next and George at Asda. Oh, just remembered I bargain pair of cropped trousers and a skirt in the sale at Pumpkin Patch. They seem to always have a sale on!

17. egyptgirl

Lots of brilliant ideas that I would never have considered! A trip to the shops is in order, I think! Thanks everyone xxx

18. Just to say that 4 months after birth, I'm still wearing maternity trousers. The jeans I bought are too big but the smart work trousers I got from Next are still fine - in fact, I can see myself keeping them in my wardrobe for the foreseeable future (the elastic's quite tight - OK , I may still be a fatty but tey don't fall down! [​IMG]). My point is that I would invest in some relatively decent trousers as you may wear them longer than you think!
    x

19. they