1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity and UPS application

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by SJScarb13, Feb 18, 2020.

1. SJScarb13

SJScarb13 New commenter

Hi,
    I am hoping for some advice. 2018-2019 I was on M6 and went on Maternity leave on the 3rd August (in the summer holidays). I am currently on maternity leave and have arranged to return to work in May.

I have two years worth of experience on M6 and therefore I was looking to return to work on UPS in May. My head has informed me that I will return to work in May on M6, then I can submit my two years evidence by August and then go up the pay scale in September if successful. This will mean I have actually been on M6 for two years.

If I would have submitted by application to the governors by 31st August 2019 then I may have been returning on UPS but as I was so busy at the end of the year whilst being nearly 9 months pregnant, and then giving birth the deadline passed without me submitting my application.

As officially my maternity started before the application deadline, do you think it would be reasonable to allow me to submit my application now for the governors to review before I return to work? Surely as I am returning on reduced hours with a new contract, they could change my pay in that contract?

Thank you in advance!

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I don't know what entitlement you have; your union might. They're not allowed to discriminate on grounds of maternity, but on the other hand you didn't apply. Unless your baby arrived unexpectedly early, it would perhaps have been reasonable to expect that you would complete your application in July, just as someone going abroad for the whole of August might have done. If the school isn't allowed to direct your time in August, I don't think being on maternity in August can really be used as an argument for not having done something.

Even if there is an argument that you should be allowed a late application for this year, presumably the governors look at UPS applications in a meeting in September, so you'd be asking them to do yours separately. It might work better to ask that when they consider your application in September, they backdate the rise to May. If the evidence included is your work prior to May, that would seem a reasonable compromise.

3. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

Speak to your Union at the Regional Centre. They will be able to give advice on this matter.

4. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

I did something similar between UPS 1 and 2. Effectively, my maternity leave was a 'pause' in my UPS application - I carried on using my evidence and observations form before I went on ML. added on the time needed to make up to 2 years and went through it. A word of warning though - my school then tried to argue that because I went back part-time, I wasn't contributing enough to the wider school environment, even though on my 2 days a week after I went back, I was doing break duties, lunch duties, netball clubs and second in command on Eng subject leadership! I really had to push for it. I subsequently left the school, so feel it wasn't reallt worth all the hassle anyway, as any school I speak to now is not willing to pay over M6!
    Good luck

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I am not at all convinced that you have a case here. Surely it does not count as maternity discrimination if it was open to you to apply but you chose not to. I recall completing my own application during the summer term, when I was in school and therefore better placed to pick up any evidence I needed. Your union might advise you otherwise, of course.

@frustum's suggestion seems to be a reasonable way forward. It might not work, but it is less confrontational than going in with a discrimination case, which is the only way you could try to force the school to give you the rise earlier.