1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Maternity and sick pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Psychteach2015, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Psychteach2015

Psychteach2015 New commenter

My pregnancy is classified as high risk and I have been advised by my GP that I should be signed off work for a week. I work in a local authority school (burgundy book) and am entitled to the enhanced maternity package. Will taking a week's sick leave when I am 21 weeks pregnant affect my maternity pay when I eventually go on maternity leave? Thanks.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Congratulations to start with - a new baby is a lovely thing! And I am sorry that you are feeling unwell - do follow your GP's advice in all things.

No, sick pay when pregnant is separate from maternity pay, except . . .

Except in the last four weeks of your pregnancy.

if you are off sick with a pregnancy-related illness in the last four weeks of your pregnancy (approximately), your employer can ask you to start your maternity leave. Your employer can ignore the odd days of illness, if they wish,. If you do have to start your maternity leave in the last four weeks of pregnancy, you should give your employer notice, as soon as reasonably practicable, of the start of your leave and that you are absent because of pregnancy-related illness. Your maternity leave and pay will start on the day after the first day of absence from work.

So at the moment you are fine! Keep it that way, look after yourself.

Best wishes

3. Psychteach2015

Psychteach2015 New commenter

Thanks very much indeed for replying.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing thumbs up emoticon).