1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Materials investigations y3

Discussion in 'Primary' started by NQT08, Feb 14, 2012.

1. NQT08

NQT08 New commenter

I am trying to plan the materials unit for my year 3 class.
    I am struggling with the experiments needed for this unit.
    I have seen some people do stretchiness of tights and absorbancy of different types of paper.
    Does anyone have any other good ideas for this unit?
    With the absorbancy test, how would the children test the different types of paper and how would they measure which was the most absorbent?
    Thanks!

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

3. Recently did the absorbency of paper investigation with my class. We used 6 different types of paper (kitchen roll, printer paper, sugar paper etc). They worked out that they'd need to cut sheets to the same size to help make it a fair test and carefully dripped water on using pipettes. They waited until the water was absorbed before adding another drop. You could measure by weight which one had absorbed the most but we didn't have enough digital scales. Bar charts work quite well or analysing the data, or chn can devise their own rating systems e.g stars out of 5 for absorbency.

4. NQT08

NQT08 New commenter

Thanks for that.
    I'm not sure that there is an accurate way of measuring which is the most absorbent with the resources we would have in school so a rating out of 5 or 10 might be the best way to go with it.

5. If you don't have some pipettes in school try ebay or another cheap online site. You can get sets of 10 for about £2 or £3 and then keep them yourself if your school won't pay for them. They really enjoyed learning how to use the pipettes and being more 'scientific'.