1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Matching pay AHT-DHT; inner London-fringe!

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by LAH111, Feb 1, 2019.

1. LAH111

LAH111 New commenter

Hi I’m about to go for a promotion from Assistant to Deputy head. And trying to cautious regarding potential pay difference as I’m currently ‘inner london’ wages and jobs up are ‘outer london and fronge’ Would a school potentially match my pay? Also if it wanted me and matched my pay I’d be above the top end of the tier they advertised- would that mean my pay wouldn’t go up ever? Any info appreciated set to lose £5/6k by mixing from Assistant to deputy head!

2. paulstevenjones

paulstevenjones New commenter

I think unless this school is really struggling with recruitment and you’re a whizz physics teacher etc, they are not going to take you over scale. The reason for this is that your pay band affects the head’s pay so the knock on is considerable. Many people have to take these pay cuts moving around the edge of London where inner, outer and fringe are geographically very close.

border_walker likes this.
  3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

no. Inner London pay is for Inner London schools. It is what it says on the tin

4. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

No, the pay range is as advertised. If you don’t want that pay, don’t apply for the job. Either wait for a deputy post in Inner London or accept the Deputy promotion elsewhere as it will progress your career.

5. LAH111

LAH111 New commenter

Thanks very much, money isn’t everything just wanted to know what to expect. It’s the career progression I’m after.