1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mat Leave - When to Start

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by curlcurlcurl, Sep 2, 2019.

1. curlcurlcurl

curlcurlcurl Occasional commenter

Just as the title thread says really.

- At how many weeks did you start your mat leave?
    - If making the choice again would you begin it sooner, later or the same and why?

I’m high risk and have had some problems with intermittent bleeds over the holidays so at the moment am not sure when to put my date down as.

The advice from midwife has been rest when it happens but easier said than done once at work.

georgiagina50717 likes this.
  2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

How many weeks are you? Remember that you are entitled to sick leave as normal, even for pregnancy-related issues, until a certain stage of pregnancy. I think it's from 28 weeks that any sick leave triggers maternity leave. Check it out. My last baby arrived at 27 weeks so, had I been employed in teaching at the time, I'd have started ML on the day she was born!
    Make sure that any adaptations that will help you are made for you at work. Spend more time sitting down and having pupils coming to you with their work. Get a shopping trolley or a wheeled cabin bag to transport books between classroom and car if not doing all marking at school.
    Is your PPA time in a block that could be spent at home?
    Best wishes.

3. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

Any sickness absence after 36 weeks triggers Maternity leave so you can take the necessary time off is your are not well.

curlcurlcurl likes this.
  4. SammyBear2016

SammyBear2016 Occasional commenter

For my first i started mat leave at 37 +6 and this time i'm am planning on going at 38 +3. I will ensure that i am ready to go by 36 in the event that i am off ill with something pregnancy related because that would trigger mat leave to commence. I've planned it this way so that i get more time off when baby is here.

Ultimately it depends on what you are happy with. What subject do you teach? Why are you classed as high risk? How many weeks are you at the moment?

If you need to be off at the minute you can be and it will be recorded as pregnancy related sickness. Your leave cannot start until 11 weeks before your due date (29 weeks) unless you give birth prior to this.

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Thanks for supplying the correct stage of pregnancy. I must have been thinking about the 28 weeks that used to be the viabilty threshold for getting the maternity grant. I received the £25 cheque for my daughter, not to be cashed until the pregnancy had lasted 28 weeks. She was born the week before and when I rang up to ask if I could cash it as she was alive and kicking I was told to return it! They did re-issue it later though.

curlcurlcurl, Piranha and ScienceGuy like this.
  6. frustum

frustum Star commenter

2.5 weeks before the date I'd put down (prem baby). I would advise anyone choosing a date relatively close to the due date to make sure that they have things ready for handover well in advance, just in case. Nobody will mind if books aren't completely marked up to date, but knowing where to find records, where you're up to in the scheme of work, etc will help them hit the ground running. (I remember a colleague visiting me on the maternity ward to collect a filing cabinet key!)

7. curlcurlcurl

curlcurlcurl Occasional commenter

Thanks everyone. Sorry for the delay in responding.

Off with some bleeding the last few days and feel terrible about not being in as it’s only the second week back but need to look after myself and baby.

I’m high risk due to a pre existing medical condition so extra monitoring is happening.

8. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Take care of yourself, and try not to feel guilty. The supply teacher is probably delighted (September's often a lean month on supply), and the kids will still be learning.