1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mat Leave: Changing Job & Summer Pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by sparta363, May 7, 2018.

1. sparta363

sparta363 New commenter

I started my maternity leave last August 2017, and was due to return late August, this year in 2018. However, I have found another position starting Aug this year with a different council, and I am trying to work out the implications. If I resign early June, does that mean potentially I can "work" the 13 weeks notice over the summer to avoid paying back enhanced maternity pay?

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Not knowing your contract, it is hard to say. I assume that you are not under the Burgundy Book, as you would need to resign by the end of May to leave in the summer, not early June as you say.

(Sudden lightbulb moment) When you say 'resign' in your final sentence, do you mean 'return'. If so, the answer, under the Burgundy Book, is yes. I think you might be unusual in planning to return from maternity leave at the end of the holiday rather than the beginning. But, you need to give 21 days' notice of your early return, so you need to get on with it.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You're in Scotland, aren't you? I'm not sure what the rules are there, but I thought I should say something before everyone assumes English rules.

I think you have the same 13 weeks rule, but your dates are probably different to make sure you fit in the 13 weeks, and your resignation period is shorter.

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Yes, I wondered that, although I know a state school near me which starts the new year in late August. I assume they have to use an adapted version of the Burgundy Book or whatever.