1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mastery

Discussion in 'Primary' started by abacus1982, Apr 20, 2017.

1. abacus1982

abacus1982 Occasional commenter

Is anyone else totally fed up with hearing "mastery" spouted at every single opportunity? What does it actually mean? If I have to hear another "now try the mastery question" or see "mastery" written in books I think I may explode! Especially when all it is is a worded problem - that's not mastery is it? There is only one type of "master" in my eyes and that is He-Man Master of The Universe.

2. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

Just another fad that will come and go like a bad smell.

3. abacus1982

abacus1982 Occasional commenter

If you can tell what the smell is straight away you've mastered smelling?

needabreak likes this.
  4. Landofla

Well, I think you need to be able to identify the smell and then apply those skills in another, but similar, situation. My example would be, if you smell something in the kitchen and identify it as rotten eggs, a mastery smeller should also be able to go to the bathroom and be able to identify the rotten egg smell there also.

Piscean1 and abacus1982 like this.
  5. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

I could've written the OP. It's just another buzzword. It's in our DNA as teachers to try and get kids to master academic concepts. It always has been. We've been aiming for 'mastery' since the dawn of time. It's nothing new.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Yeps!

I really like, blocking the topics to teach and that has been brilliant this year. (Why the heck didn't I always do that?!)
    I also like not having the same kind of fixed differentiation as the 'scheme' the school uses elsewhere.

But good maths teaching is good maths teaching and that's that. Call it what you will.

needabreak likes this.
  7. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Established commenter

Having been exposed to 'Mastery' over a year now (though fortunately not too closely) I'm actually shocked to hear its use as above.

I thought it was a brand-name like Acer, SMART, SIMS.....

8. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

I literally don't even know what it means.

9. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

But... but... but... you can't just call it good, since that would imply it cannot be good enough because it isn't "outstanding"! ... :rolleyes:;)

10. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I wonder what the ed "guru's" think when they read our posts to find that we take their "new" buzz words with a pinch of salt?

11. Benchster

Benchster New commenter

I thought it was just me!!!! Glad I'm not the only one who just sees problem solving by another name!!!!

1 person likes this.
  12. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

Mastery- We don't want it harder, we want it deeper......

13. Landofla

@onmyknees hilarious! I want my Mastery thicker then ahahaha