1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Mastery learning: comparing/contrasting approaches

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Smeddlesboy, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Smeddlesboy

Smeddlesboy New commenter

I am very interested right now in the concept of mastery learning and applying it to my department (I'm a Principal Teacher in Scotland) and have done various bits of research so am getting moderately confident with my knowledge of it. I'm convinced that there is a lot of value and potential in it.

However when I try to discuss it with others, I commonly get met with the phrase "I've heard mastery meaning different things to different people". But when I ask them what they mean by that, I don't really get a satisfactory response (maybe it's just their way of telling me they're not interested and don't want to engage with me...)

So I thought I'd turn here: what different approaches have you heard being referred to as 'mastery'? Is there any unifying theme running through them that unites them? What makes them different?

I'm interested to find out what different approaches are used, and then to see which one(s) the research seems to back up. I was going to post what I already think I know, but on reflection I'd rather see what comes up on the thread first so I don't lead the discussion in any particular direction.

Thanks in advance for anything you can say!

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Leading British exponent is Mark McCourt whose book, Teaching for Mastery, is available for pre-order now:

[​IMG]

3. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter