1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Master's research

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sarahlg, Jun 22, 2016.

1. sarahlg

sarahlg New commenter

I'm at the research phase of my MA SEN and I need to gather information from UK-based or UK-trained teachers related to SEN in initial teacher training, INSET, CPD etc.
    I’ve created an online survey that’s completely confidential. It would be enormously helpful if you could complete it. There are 27 multiple choice/ratings questions in total, with 8 groups of three questions each related to different learning needs. It should take 4 or 5 minutes to complete, and it’s at:
    https://senteachers.typeform.com/to/p50p5Z
    If you are able to share it with other teachers, too, that would be hugely appreciated!

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Done..

God I haven't had much SEN training...

3. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

Done, I haven't either, but I've taught an awful lot of students with SEN though...

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yeah same... I remember getting training back in like 06-07 but nothing recently...

And the Teaching Assistants have dried up too... all vanishing off into the night.

5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

In many of these cases I have not had formal training but every time, I have sat with a member of our SfL department and discussed both general points and strategies and information about the individual pupil at the start of term and if needed throughout the year. I don't know if you are leaning to separate formal training from this type of support but I find it more useful in terms of actually teaching individual children and in terms of CPD than sit down sessions delivered at inservice.

6. sarahlg

sarahlg New commenter

[
    Thank you!

7. sarahlg

sarahlg New commenter

Thank you!

8. sarahlg

sarahlg New commenter

Thanks, your experience pretty much matches what I'm hearing from others...

9. sarahlg

sarahlg New commenter

I agree that experience and open communication are hard to beat - thanks!

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

No worries @sarahlg

@Flere-Imsaho yeah I've done similar ... chatted with relevant colleagues, swapped strategies... SEN seemed to hit a high watermark just before 2010... then I think the funding changed.