1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Masters in SEN Literature

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by workaholic1985, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Hi everyone

I was wondering if i could pick your brains

I am currently writing an assignment on SEN for my MA in Education.

I am struggling to find some literature to back up my writing/findings.

Does anyone know where i could find literature/quotes relating to

1) upto date statistics of sen children, in the uk in primary or independent pre-prep schools.

2) special needs in one area influencing childs development in another area. e.g. children physical development aiding/hindering their cognitative development.

Also i have been advised to discuss how SEN are classified, so far i have discussed school action and SA + and general needs and specific needs, is there any other way to classify SEN that i could discuss?

I know you are all busy with your own work etc, but i would really apreciate any help you could offer.

many thanks in advance

2. Hi everyone

I was wondering if i could pick your brains

I am currently writing an assignment on SEN for my MA in Education.

I am struggling to find some literature to back up my writing/findings.

Does anyone know where i could find literature/quotes relating to

1) upto date statistics of sen children, in the uk in primary or independent pre-prep schools.

2) special needs in one area influencing childs development in another area. e.g. children physical development aiding/hindering their cognitative development.

Also i have been advised to discuss how SEN are classified, so far i have discussed school action and SA + and general needs and specific needs, is there any other way to classify SEN that i could discuss?

I know you are all busy with your own work etc, but i would really apreciate any help you could offer.

many thanks in advance

3. I hope you take my posting in the constructive spirit in which it is intended and not as a criticism.
    Your request raises two issues. First, there is a wealth of literature in the field of special education, at masters level you need to know how to access this body of work. I would suggest that you have a look at: Hart, C. (2001). Doing a literature search. London: Sage. searching fro statistics is part of this process. Also
    The second point is that at masters level you should be engaging with the literature critically and not simply looking for quotes to support your writing/findings. The reason for this is that while you might find some quotes that will support what you say, there will undoubtedly be other work that contests your position. As an examiner I would expect you to be aware of these arguments. You need to be able to place your work within the context of current literature. Perhaps you might find - Doing a literature review ( also by Chris Hart) - useful.

4. Thank you for your comments

5. bluebell27

bluebell27 New commenter

I have just finished a research course on children and young people as a module towards my Open University degree and one of my assignments involved choosing a topic related to SEN. I had a literature review to complete which entailed critically evaluating at least ten pieces of research/ literature in my chosen question/topic which was about the impact of labelling SEN children.
    Once I knew what I was looking for I searched different academic sites which I accessed from the OU ( you would be able to access from your own university/institution? I found Sage publishing had lots of data on SEN/ education. But there are lots of others too
    Another source I used was from 'google scholar' which first gave a summery of different papers before taking you to the site where you would have to sign in.
    Not answered your exact question but hopefully will assist you in finding information you want.
    Good luck