1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Masters in Education

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by cbjblb16, Aug 14, 2019.

1. cbjblb16

cbjblb16 New commenter

Hi All,

I am currently a KS2 primary school teacher and am considering doing a Masters in Education. However, I am wondering if it’ll be “worth it” work-wise. So, my questions are:

1) has anyone else studied for a masters whilst teaching in primary?

2) If so, has it enabled you to “climb the ladder?”

3) Has it opened any more doors i.e. are you no longer teaching in class and doing a different job?

4) Is everybody eligible for funding for a masters?

TIA

2. Lucy2711

Lucy2711 Occasional commenter

1) Yes, while teaching full-time and became dep head during the (taught) course.
    2) Don't think in my case it was the deciding factor but it can only have helped. This was a good few years ago when Masters were scarcer (only person in my mid-sized primary with one at the time).
    3) This is where it definitely made a difference - when I moved out of teaching. I now recruit and those with post-grad quals / sound evidence of further study much more likely to be called for interview.
    4) I'm afraid I've no idea.

cbjblb16 likes this.
  3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Yes
    No
    No
    Probably not.

I did mine (maths education) for enjoyment and the hope it might make me more employable. It did enable me to get shortlisted for a few jobs I never got, but it gave me a lot of experience/knowledge in my chosen field and I think gave me the interest in research I now have. I met a few interesting people who challenged my perceptions and my views, and I still read a lot.
    I'd have loved to go onto a PhD but at the time I couldn't afford it and also couldn't find that really big itch that needed scratching.

steely1 and cbjblb16 like this.
  4. dts

dts Occasional commenter

I'm in secondary so can't answer your questions about career benefits in primary, but my Master's has definitely helped my career. Funding is available, but it's along much more commercial lines than undergraduate finance - higher interest and it doesn't get written off.

cbjblb16 likes this.
  5. cbjblb16

cbjblb16 New commenter

Thank you so much for your advice and comments everyone. I’ve decided to go to the open evening and ask more questions. Thanks again, really appreciate your help x

6. 01ade

01ade New commenter

It depends on what you are aiming to achieve. The best way to get most value for your M.Ed degree is to ask yourself- which aspect of my professional career do I want to improve further? Do I want a functional masters or title masters? You are the only one who can answer these questions genuinely. Good luck

7. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

Having the qualification doesn't make any difference to your career, that's not the point. The point is, does what you learn make you better at your job? You can apply for promotion without it, if that's what you want. I teach in London, so many promotions go unapplied for and un filled, so don't bother to go through the palava of applying, funding and working for a masters because you want to "climb the ladder". Totally unnecessary. Just move to London