1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Masters degrees

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by MisterMaker, Jun 20, 2012.

1. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

I think Bristol offer a decent range.

2. rednelly84

rednelly84 Occasional commenter

IOE, University of London do quite a few. A friend of mine recently completed the Education and International Development Masters and had a good overall experience.

3. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

I'm just coming to the end of my first module with the OU - M.Ed (Equality and Diversity). Have really enjoyed the approach offered through the online tutorials and tbh the workload has been manageable. Cost also reasonable.

4. I'm writing my last essay (still have a presentation after the summer) for my MA - Creative Media Education through Bournemouth Uni - four residentials at Bournemouth (accommodation paid for by Uni - you have have to get there) Excellent online support from Tutors who are there for you whenever you need them (and if you post a question when you go to bed, the answer is there when you wake up) and we've got people in the cohort from Canada, HK, USA, Dom Rep, NI and the UK... previous courses have had students from Russia and Egypt, so a universally doable course. Not unreasonably priced as far as MAs go and this year there was a completely funded scholarship offered. I'd recommend this course to anyone. It has been a life changer (I hadn't considered teaching internationally til January after talking to the Dom Rep person who is an international English teacher, consequently, I'm off to Dubai.... )

5. Durham has a part time distance program with 2 July residentials. You attend classes for 2 modules each summer, then write the papers and submit them around April. I wouldn't say the tutor support is great, however. Pretty limited actually from what I've observed. A lot of students fail modules.

I know you prefer UK based, but there's also Fastrain at George Mason U in the States. Theirs is a combination of summer residential and online courses and is aligned with IB standards and can award the Level 1 IB Teacher Award. However, the primary option includes licensure; I'm not sure if you could skip some of the more basic courses or not since you're already qualified. But maybe an unqualified teacher will find this info useful.

6. University of Bath is the UK leader for an MA in International Education with Study Centres abroad as well. They have summer schools in Bath. Well known on the circuit. Look up Thompson and Hayden.
    Best wishes,
    GW

7. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/education/students/masters/
    Lots of Universities of masters in education related areas, nowadays.

8. The request was ... 'Any recommendations for distance learning MAs in education for an international school teacher'?
    Struggling to read MM? - KS3 KPI fail.
    Love and kisses plus a little cuddle,
    GW

9. Just to help...
    Plenty on offer here and they are the world leader in the provision of an MA for International School teachers.
    http://www.bath.ac.uk/education/postgraduate/ma/ed/pathways.html
    Best wishes
    GW