1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Masters Degree?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by debscats, Sep 18, 2019.

1. debscats

debscats New commenter

Hi all

I'm seriously considering doing a MA in Education. I'm a secondary school teacher in my 4th year teaching. It's my second career (13+ years in NHS previously) and I'm looking to progress into leadership.

Would it be worth it as a career move or more for personal development?

Thanks

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I did a Masters many years ago. I think it got me interviews and I did enjoy doing it. The final dissertation was the only hard bit.
    Now I'm retired and have moved to a new area its funny how people react if it ever comes up in conversation. One retired police inspector was telling me about his masters and when I said I had one too, he actually made an odd squeaking sound, while a new friend said "Oh no you haven't got two degrees have you!" I remind the family every now and again. I'm proud of it although, apart from the dissertation it really only involved turning up and doing the tasks, not having any advanced intellectual powers.

3. debscats

debscats New commenter

Thanks for this! I think I would really enjoy it but just need to justify the time and cost to myself before committing- although the squeaky response sounds priceless!

4. sidekick125

sidekick125 New commenter

Hi, I'm currently in my sixth year and started mine last year. I am really enjoying it, but finding it hard to work at it every weekend. You do have to sacrifice at least one day a week to get through the information.

I'm currently teaching internationally and doing my masters online. However, I do wish that I did it whilst still in the U.K and was able to attend lectures for one evening a week.

debscats likes this.
  5. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I was lucky to be funded to do mine full time in maths education. It was definitely for personal and professional development not for job prospects. But I did really enjoy it, the dissertation was hard work, but I enjoyed the shorter assignments.

debscats likes this.
  6. Lucy2711

Lucy2711 Occasional commenter

I did mine whilst teaching full-time. Getting to the lectures was probably the easiest part, and the dissertation was definitely hardest. Not in an intellectual sense - no harder than my undergrad degree - but just being motivated for something that couldn't be completed in a weekend, which was the case for all the other assignments. Having said that, I doubt I would have got my present job without it and it was interesting.

debscats likes this.
  7. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I did an M.Ed while working full time. I found it enjoyable but it was challenging keeping up with the written assignments and finally the dissertation. If I was teaching these days with the massive workload I don't think I could have done it. There was a great sense of achievement and interviews were always nailed on.

debscats likes this.
  8. debscats

debscats New commenter

Thanks for all the comments- really helpful! It seems as though it's well worth doing even if it is hard work juggling everything.

9. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

I did an MA... part time but mainly summer school study. I would attend intensive lectures for the first week of the summer holiday, then write the essay assignment required in the following couple of weeks. I couldn't do a unit every summer because it depended when the holiday fell. My dissertation was similarly split over two summers, with the research in-between!
    I enjoyed the study - and even now, I contemplate doing some further units, just for interest really!

debscats likes this.
  10. debscats

debscats New commenter

Love this idea! Was it something you negotiated or was it how the course was structured? I've not heard of MA study over the summer but it makes perfect sense.

11. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

'Twas how the course was set up I actually began my MA with once a week night classes, then moved area - and had to transfer university. Did one more lot of weekly stuff, but the other units summer school style. PM me and I'll tell you where.