1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Masters but not Batchelors

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Wych, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I posted this question on the TDA section of the forum, but I'm not sure if that is running anymore. Apologies if it is not relevent to this section.
    I am looking to get into teaching and trying to work out what the options are with my fairly unique set of qualifications. I have an MA in Acting (studied for at the East 15 Acting School, but accredited by The University of Essex), but no Batchelors degree. I have contacted a few providers about doing a PGCE in secondary drama, and most told me outright that due to my lack of an undergraduate degree they couldn't accept an application. One course provider, The Central School of Speech and Drama (a drama school who offer Secondary Drama PGCE) said that they would accept an application, but they pointed out that I would be up against other candidates who did have Batchelors degrees for a very limited number of places, so I take this as an effective no.
    The other option is primary teaching, which is something I would have considered even without the door to secondary being seemingly closed. I had thought that any degree was accepted when applying to a primary PGCE, but having done more research it looks like an undergraduate degree may be a requirement here as well.
    Am I right in assuming that there is no way onto a secondary PGCE with my qualifications? And is it the same for primary? I am male, which I am told can help with getting into primary education due to a big shortage, but does this apply here?
    Many thanks

2. Hi Wych
    I didn't know you could do a Masters without an Undergrad Bachelors degree, so this is defininitely a unique position to find yourself in (in my experience anyway). As far as I'm aware, PGCEs are legally bound to only accept people with undergraduate degrees (like they are with GCSE Maths and English grades). I may be wrong here, but this is what I've been led to believe, somebody please feel free to disagree with me there.
    In regards to you being male, yes there has been a reported shortage in male applicants into primary teaching (with numbers on the up now), but I don't think that means that training providers would be happy to overlook qualification requirements to give men places. I wouldn't assume your gender is going to help you in this respect.
    Have you tried calling the Teaching Agency and asking them for advice? They should be able to help you. Perhaps there are different routes besides a PGCE that you can apply for to get into teaching.You may not have a Bachelors, but a Masters is a good qualification to have so must count for something somewhere without the bachelors as a foundation. Don't be disheartened just yet! Contact the Teaching Agency and see if they can help - website is http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teachin
    Best of luck!

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

As the funding for all ITT PGCE is now focused upon 2.1 or higher then this is going to be a continuing difficulty for you to get onto the programmes. It is the same for both phases with increasing competition for the non shortage secondary subjects. You may be aware that the Gove has recently reminded Academies that they do not have to appoint qualified teachers but should look for expertise. This may be an avenue to explore but it depends upon the type of schools in your area.
    Your other alternative is to train via the postgraduate post compulsory courses aimed at teaching FE -there is then a back door route to gain QTS via membership of the IFL- details are on the DfE website.

4. Thanks for your reply and advice graceylou. I called the Teaching Agency and they were actually quite positive. They said that there is no absolute rule, and it is up to the providers. They advised me to contact the providers direct and plead my case. I still think it will be hard, but it may be possible. MA acting courses are being offered by more and more drama schools, and there is no requirement to have an undergraduate degree to get on one (they persuade their accrediting institutions that "life experience" is enough) so there must be other actors in my sitiuation. Perhaps this means that Drama only (as apposed to Drama and English) PGCE providers will be more open to this.

5. Hi welshwizard,
    Thanks for your reply. Agreed that it will be very hard for me to get on to a PGCE, although the Teaching Association have advised me not to give up until I have spoken to providers and pleaded my case.
    Really interesting what you say about Academies. Perhaps a good way in for me is to get loads of experience in after school/holiday drama groups (of which there are loads) and then sell myself to Academies/Private Schools as a teacher of drama as a vocational activity, as an alternative to the more academic drama curriculum. The same could be achieved through your alternative FE sector route.
    Anyway, I'm sure I'm boring you, but thanks for your help!

6. Don't mention it, I hope I was of some help! That's great news from the Teaching Agency, sounds much more positive than I thought it might have been. As I said, an MA is a great qualification in and of itself, and educators know how much work goes into getting one. I'm sure once you've pleaded your case to providers you'll win them over!
    All the best of luck! I hope you are successful, make sure you keep us posted on how you get on [​IMG]

7. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Good luck I'm sure an increasing number will use the FE route to gain QTS in future

8. It is not unheard of for someone to do a masters degree with no bachelor degree, I also know of someone who has a PhD with no prior degree and at least 2 professors with no PhD. Academia can be like that.
    From a funding point of view a master's degree is equivalent to a 2:1 and a provider can accept a masters with no other degree for entry. It is up to the provider.
    The Sage