1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Masterchef - The Professionals

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by egyptgirl, Nov 7, 2011.

1. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Its back on tonight - BBC2, 8.30pm. I can't wait. I really like the professional series, especially Michel Roux Jr - he is a bit easier on the eye than the Toad. [​IMG]

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

He speaks a lot more sense, well that's not difficult is it?

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Ah, cool, one for the HD recorder then.
    The professionals series is definitely the best, I think. I can't honestly say I have a preference visually for Roux Jr or Torode, although Roux Jr does at least wash his face before coming on TV, something Torode certainly doesn't appear to do.
    Torode did win me over a bit on the beef programme on the other night. He knows his meat, I'll give him that, and clearly very passionate. Perhaps that's why his face is always dirty - maybe he wipes it on a bit of beef skirt when he gets up in the morning.
    My favourite thing about the professionals is watching them taste: Roux Jr gives his comment, Wallace then says exactly the same as Roux Jr, just phrased slightly differently. Every single time

4. Ooh, how exciting! We love MC the Professionals. That's definitely on for series bookmark on Sky +.
    I'm often quite surprised at how poor some of them are in the first round, maybe my impression of a professional is slightly higher than the reality of the initial round.
    It would be quite entertaining if the tubby grocer were to critique the food first then Michel (who we think is fab!). He's such a copycat and rarely says anything original.

5. Sorry about the lack of paragraphs, I'm on my phone.

6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

It all looked a little uninspiring, really. Given that duck and blackberry is a classic combination, you'd have thought someone would have pulled something decent out the bag. Still, it'll all get better, I'm sure.
    Additional observations:
    Gregg's lost a bit of timber, hasn't he?
    Monica Galetti is still terrifying.

7. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

There was one very glarey chef. I thought he might pull a kitchen knife out and stab Monica at one point. She always comes across so fierce and negative. Roll on her boss coming on instead!
    Greg said that the duck was all cooked in different ways but then they showed pictures of each dish. The duck looked pretty much identical in most of them. They all appeared to have pan-fried it and served it pink. It looked good but not different!

8. egyptgirl

Really?! You do surprise me, Nick! [​IMG]
    True - but he seems to have employed a different tactic with Monica - disagreeing every time...
    My friend sent me this link - you might have seen it before but I thought I'd post it as it put a smile on my face!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjckqAU8IkM&noredirect=1

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Phwoar Sebastian can cook my breakfast anyday!!

10. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Yep seen it but enjoyed watching it agfain. Very funny.
    Some good food last night - particularly Sebastien's - but the sugar work was woeful. I've attempted sugar work just once, and mine was better than their efforts.
    It strikes me as a little odd that trained chefs hadn't the slightest idea how to do it properly. I know that sugar work is far from the be-all-and-end-all (in fact it usually annoys me, as it's normally totally unnecessary), but it's not especially difficult, really.
    Wallace has started disagreeing with Roux, hasn't he?! Roux shot him a right look last night, after he'd totally disagreed with what he said!

11. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Forget sugarcraft - how shocking that only one of the five in tonight's episode knew how to pick the meat from a cooked crab!
    There's loads of hidden white meat in the body. I was yelling at the telly at one point. And a for wasting all of that brown meat as well...

12. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Isn't it sheer bliss....Great British Food Revival followed by MasterChef Professionals! 2 hours of foodieness!

I loved the crab task last night. With my dexterity and coordination issues I might have problems smashing the crab open....but at least I know where and how to get at the white and brown meat...at least one of the profis didn't seem too sure!
    (I confess...these days I simply ask my driver of we can go to the fish-shop and buy a ready prepared crab!.....oh and I can't do sugar work either!....*gulp* if I keep on confessing then I might get thrown out of this forum!)

13. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I don't want it to sound like I'm an expert at sugar work and that I do it regularly (I haven't the time nor the inclination tbh), rather I did just do it once, to top a simple pud of stewed apple puree, thinking the crunchy caramel would be good with the soft puree. It did work, as it happened, but my 'sugar work' involved little more than making a sort of 'mesh' of caramel strands over the puree, which was in shallow soup plates.
    I still wouldn't have much idea how to do anything more complex.

14. egyptgirl

I do know how to do sugar work and I sometimes used to do it when we had friends over if I had the time...that was pre-children. At the moment, I'm just about managing to remember that I need to wash my hair every three days, never mind fiddling about with sugar nests! I couldn't believe the ones that tipped the rest of the caramel over the pannacottas - that is not decoration...that is sauce!
    I was giggling out loud last night watching Monica's expressions as they were trying to work with the crab. Oh, I love her. Give her a show of her own!
    Tonight is one of my favourite parts - when they cook for the food critics. Cannot wait.
    Bethannie - we couldn't possibly exile you from this forum. I would miss your writing far too much!

15. Wallace is so full of self-love I'm surprised he can bear to share himself with anyone else.
    When I was watching it last night, I kept imagining him and Paul Hollywood meeting up in a bar to congratulate each other on their wonderfulness.
    What a perfect couple they would make.

16. Me neither, I'm finding it very odd!

17. Don't you just love the pomposity of the critics. Charles Campion shops at my local Waitrose, he looks so scruffy and thrown together whenever I see him!

18. I would like to see those two do a programme together.
    It would be like The Office with two real live David Brents.

19. egyptgirl

Chocolate and poached egg...[​IMG]

20. egyptgirl

Lori? I think she is South African...