1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Masterchef dumbed down?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by regencyrob, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Its totally awful now!
    Still cooking amazing food though but too many gimmicks.
    Great British Menu is far superior!

2. We love MasterChef in the Para household - far more interesting now than when Mr Grossman was presenting. It's one of the very few programmes we actually turn the telly on for!

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

I love it as well. However, I don't like how the judges haven't really been judging the last few weeks. They aren't tasting the food and are just saying how wonderful the contestants are. [​IMG]

4. I think they have messed up the formulae. By missing out all of the middle rounds, where you actually got to see real people cook, and concentrating on four and now three going around the world, it has got a bit poncey.
    I particularly disliked the Aussie link with Torode going about his family roots, and producing a fairly average meal in Sydney.
    Sadly, the stars of the show are now John and Gregg, and the fun of the disasters and the successes has been lost. The original masterchef with Lloyd Grossman was about the food, and unfortunately this programme is now about celebrity.

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

We used to record it and stopped doing so this time round as we hated the early rounds when it all seemed to be about mature adults acting like teenagers, screaming and jumping up and down when selected and then running into the waiting arms of the invited family members!
    I now dip into parts of it on BBC iPlayer and I miss the close focus on the actual cooking that we saw in previous series of the show.
    I knew early on that they'd be keeping Jackie, the vegetarian, in as she makes such extreme facial expressions! They've even kept her in when her food has been criticised as inedible by loads of people (the circus performers being the first to leave almost full plates). She was not happy when Michel Roux criticised her dessert pastry in Round 9, saying she didn't do desserts or pastry. It was an Invention test and nobody made her choose a pastry dessert! She had a vast array of ingredients to choose from. Surely pastry is a almost a staple anyway for vegetarian cookery?
    There's been hardly any cooking for paying guests so far but I am several episodes behind at the moment.

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Indeed it was....and I'm not just saying that because I was a finalist.
    I really couldn't see the point of flying them all to Oz to cook a BBQ. Then to NYC.
    All unecessary.
    Bring back Lloyd

7. I didn't like the start of the series where it was very much like the X Factor. I like parts like the invention test, cooking for crowds and when they go into professional kitchens, but like another poster said, there seems to be a lot of going on about how great they all are.

I hate how every week Greg Wallace manages to slip in "cooking doesn't get any harder than this". Ugh.
    This whole final thing has been dragged out a bit much IMO.
    Although, I couldn;t stand Lloyd's voice.

8. It used to be interesting with Gross Lloydman ... Then, when it came back I used to enjoy it ... the format was spot on

This series started badly imo, with the (as people have said) X factor element ... then it was too hard to focus because there were too many competitors ... I have enjoyed the Master Class elements since we got down to the last 5 or 6

The Australian bush bit was good but the stuff at John's house ... I agree ... naff

I though the NY bit was good ... I like to see the real chefs and real meals

So, in conclusion, not as good on the whole as previous format but improved towards the end

9. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

I agree.

I'm quite pleased to have spotted the eventual winner right at the beginning for the past 3 years. I might not be able to cook but I can obviously identify an outstanding chef!

I'm thrilled Tim won: his cooking was brave and always interesting, and he seems a genuinely lovely guy.

10. See, I can't see how on earth it was like the X-Factor at the beginning! I've only had the great misfortune to accidentally see snippits of X-Factor and it really could incite me to murder! Whereas I've really enjoyed this series of MasterChef.
    I like to see them learning new things - I particularly loved seeing them in NY as I love seeing different restaurants and I do love seeing them in professional kitchens. Particularly as my brother worked briefly with a couple of people who'd been in the old style MasterChef and said they really couldn't make the switch from cooking well as an amateur to working in a professional kitchen. So it's always interesting to see how they cope.
    And I am so in love with Tom Kitchin!
    I particularly wanted Sara to win as she has improved so much and her confidence has grown as the series has progressed. But Tim is a worthy winner - but I did have a dream last night where he was boiling worn socks and intending to use the water in a dessert!!!

11. Don't give him the idea!