1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Masterchef 2011

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by beckycharles, Feb 16, 2011.

1. My friend's husband has made it through the first set of auditions and she managed to keep it quiet!
    :D

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Weird new format. Definitely gone for the X-Factor vibe, with the odd auditions, lots of emotion and getting all the family in to watch. It's still just old tubby cockney wide-boy Wallace and dirty-faced John Torrode being served up food that, by and large, looks thoroughly awful (no offence to your friend, Becky), though.
    It seemed like a spoof in parts, I fell apart into hysterical giggles at time, although I'm sure that wasn't the intention of the programme.
    I'm a bit obsessed by John Torrode's dirty face though. I just don't think he washes.

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

I'm not sold in this new format - I remain to be convinced!

ps - who is your friend's husband??

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Agree. and how do these peoplet get as far as the auditions......some of them clearly are crap cooks!
    Mind you, I liked the bread coated mackerel but I fear the guy who cooked Japanese food may tunr out to be a one trick pony.
    And what was it with that woman and the plate of raspberries and peaches and tuille (that went wrong) and almonds and mousse and jelly and OMG kitchen sink as well! And she got through [​IMG]

5. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

So glad I'm not the only one to think like this! What about that woman that tried to deconstruct a trifle...what was she thinking?!

6. BelleDuJour

I know.....how stupid! I loved the way John got Greg to eat it [​IMG]

7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Nevermind the fact that seemingly all that is needed to plate a decent meal these days is to use a pastry cutter to arrange your mash in an absurd little disc and then pointlessly smear a teaspoon or so of sauce/puree on the other side of the plate.
    This is brilliant:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjckqAU8IkM
    A parody of the final of last year's Professional Masterchef. Hilarious.

8. My friend's husband is the american who did the japanese stuff. He can cook other things too! :D I'm not sure I like the new format too, completely agree its a bit too x-factor ish!!

9. BelleDuJour

Pleased about that (the doing other things, not that he's your friend's hubby....if you get my drift!). Must say though that his Japanese food did look scrummy!

10. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

A slight aside, but what on Earth is this current fashion for 'deconstructing' things all about? Ermm..it was 'constructed' in the first place for a very good reason, now stop *** about and leave it alone!
    Where will it all end? Will we at some point in the near future be able to order a coq au vin and be presented with an oven ready chicken and a bottle of Bordeaux in a bag and politely asked to **** off?!

11. egyptgirl

Oh, Nick - that actually made me laugh out loud...it's just the sort of thing I'd say!
    Isn't that already a meal deal in one of the supermarkets? [​IMG]

12. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Haha! Either it already is or you're onto something there, egyptgirl - a chicken, a pack of streaky, mushrooms, onions and the bottle of booze = deconstructed coq au vin. That'll be £15 please!

13. BelleDuJour

Some things you can successfully 'deconstruct'......like ravioli.....but it is pretentious IMO.
    Trifle you cannot deconstruct.....it is made in a bowl because it is slippery, wobbly and sloppy! Hence the disaster on a plate last night!

14. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Yes, that's my point, really.
    But moreover, it's pointless. The whole point of most dishes is that the combinations work. If you've got to assemble them again on your fork to get the value of this, then there is no point.
    It's just showing off. Emperor's new clothes spring to mind.

15. egyptgirl

You say that but how difficult can it be to put jelly, custard, sponge and whipped cream on a plate (I know she only had 45 minutes but how hard can it be?)

16. BelleDuJour

*snigger*

17. BelleDuJour

How about deconstructed chicken?

................an egg! [​IMG]

18. egyptgirl

Watch it hatch out on the plate in front of your very eyes!
    btw, Nick I think £15 is a bit ambitious for a Coq Au Vin Meal Deal - should be at least £20 upwards!

19. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

[​IMG]

20. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Having watched the second episode tonight, I am now firmly of the opinion that the transformation has rendered it utterly awful and entirely unwatchable. Unless it improves when they get beyond the heat stage, I won't be watching it much this year. I preferred the earlier time slot as well; from 9-10 I want to be watching something a bit more intellectually demanding than Masterchef. 8-9 is the ideal slot for a food programme, in my opinion!