1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

MaST - is this an "advanced skills" qualification, or an AST on the cheap?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by toadoftoadhall2, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Good evening,

I have just enrolled to be a MaST. It looks quite full on and interesting from my point of view, but I have a question?

Apart from the £1k after the 1st year and the £2k on completion, where is the reward for 2 years work? After all, if this were an "advanced skills" qualification, why are the holders not elegible for the AST salary scale? Is this simply AST on the cheap?...

Regards,

Chris

2. Hi there, just wondering.

I have also just enrolled for this cohort coming up, and Im wondering if it is all worth it in the end, did you by anychance get any feedback?

Thanks

Pat

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Definitely AST on the cheap! Trouble is, our authority is not too sure what to do with us now we have ( almost) finished.In theory we should be toddling off into schools to give them the benefit of our perceived new found wisdom. In practice there is 1) no incentive for me to do so ( other than a chance to poke my nose in where I'm probably not wanted!) 2) no incentive for my Head to let me go! So we are currently sat around twiddling our thumbs. Apart from now being on the Leading Teachers program- with the resultant training opportunities from that, I haven't yet seen any additional benefits ( and certainly not financial-it took 7 months for the first £1000 to come through, which was taxed, and we have been told we might not get the final £2000 as there is no money available. The second cohort isn't getting anything!)
    Having said that, I thoroughly enjoyed the course and it has ( I think) been of benefit to myself and to my school but as yet nothing wider than that.