1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

massive 'teaching stuff' clearout

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tod sal, Aug 11, 2011.

1. After 4 yrs in my new job ( new KS), I have finally started on the mass clearout ( binning) of paper resources and lesson plans. It has taken me this long as 1- I might need them again ( really?) but more 2- the vast amount of hours I spent researching/ preparing/ collating etc.( I could underestimate there is at least 300 working hours gone into them.**) For Num and Lit I have a large folder for each unit, and then many additional files and folders on every possible thing associated with... Yet, I am feeling liberated! I am going through everything, in case I find something that could be adapted to where I am now but having just read that, part of me thinks I should just go back down there and just bin ( well, recycle) the whole lot.
    ( I also have a filing cabinet full of plans and resources from my NQT yr- over 20 years ago- All handmade- some even hand written!)

** and that's from one academic year! ( tbh school was in SM and each lesson had to be OFSTED standard as you didn't know when they (long list) would come.)

2. After 4 yrs in my new job ( new KS), I have finally started on the mass clearout ( binning) of paper resources and lesson plans. It has taken me this long as 1- I might need them again ( really?) but more 2- the vast amount of hours I spent researching/ preparing/ collating etc.( I could underestimate there is at least 300 working hours gone into them.**) For Num and Lit I have a large folder for each unit, and then many additional files and folders on every possible thing associated with... Yet, I am feeling liberated! I am going through everything, in case I find something that could be adapted to where I am now but having just read that, part of me thinks I should just go back down there and just bin ( well, recycle) the whole lot.
    ( I also have a filing cabinet full of plans and resources from my NQT yr- over 20 years ago- All handmade- some even hand written!)

** and that's from one academic year! ( tbh school was in SM and each lesson had to be OFSTED standard as you didn't know when they (long list) would come.)

3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

If you have time scan in all the bits you feel you need to keep or might want
    Im in the process of getting shut of 30 years of teaching in both secondary and primary..so I know that feeling.

4. Wow!!
    I'm just about to start my second year but have a fear of the ever growing paper mountain!! I'm just going to keep everything I have electronically (I make sure it's all backed up) and I'm only ever going to keep the previous year's planning file. I'm quite ruthless when it comes to throwing things out so I'm not going to store paper copies of things I'll never use!

5. Erm......admits (in a rather shame-faced way) to still having boxes of papers relating to my first year in teaching, back in 1976. All sentimental value etc...including a register list of my very first tutor group. They were 15 back then so I have a (handwritten, as all registers were back then) list of names of men who'll now be erm....49/50 yrs old.
    OMG.....!!
    [​IMG]

6. I used to love filling in my handwritten registers at the start of the new year!!

7. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

I threw out my Banda Masters last year ( banda machine = spirit copier).

8. I worked in a school on supply last term that still had one of those! They kept it in case the photocopier got knackered and they had to quickly churn out some worksheets, if I remember correctly.
    Good tip to only keep electronic copies +back-ups though plus planning for the previous year in hard copy. I'm notorious for hoarding so I might try that when I start my NQT post!

9. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

There was something rather nice about filling in the register in your very best handwriting and taking a real pride in how it looked. Only problem was when someone else took your register and didn't take the same care!
    Do you remember the joys of the back page in the register - making sure all of the figures added up and agreed with the front pages?
    I think I still have some Banda masters lurking in the back of a cupboard!

10. oldsomeman

Even worse these days when registers are marked on the computer and you dont get to write..and wo betide you if you send them off and some urchin turns up really late.
    Do we stil have to tally figures in the back of registers todaay/
    Banda masters.i found a few ot them the other day when sorting out some paper work.OMG they are from 1979 as well.did I really write that bad> lol

11. Sure they didn't just keep it to hide in the cupboard with the banda fluid...

12. I have a paper mountain and an e-mountain to clear.
    I did some at the end of June, whilst waiting for the A2 exams to be over and done with. I thought I had finished it... but I seem to have only reached Base Camp One!
    And my laptop has helped with the e-mountain - it isn't letting me modify my docs. Something to do with it having lost its partition(!!). So I have copied everything to an external hard drive and am slowly copying just the bits I need back to the laptop (and syncing like a crazy woman). I must remember to zip the back up and bring it home!!
    You never know, by September I may have a clean laptop, folders with only up-to-date stuff in and an empty filing cabinet! Weirdly quite exciting!
    Oh, I am so sad.... and I didn't even need the Banda machine!

13. Clearing out over the last couple of days, I have now got a pile of paper reaching around 3'. I wish I could just bin the lot, but no, can't throw away wallets, so emptying individually. Not just worksheets and lesson plans, but training materials, and having a quick look through- what a load of tosh! Especially ones from the early days of the Lit/ Num strategies.
    There is still more to do!

14. oldsomeman

well you dont need to save the NC stuff as its changing........I even found stiff wor when all the NC targets prevailed.....did i reall teach 14 strands of science in Primary......
    I have a double pile of wallets some 4 feet high waiting my perusal.with a wife nagging as to when im goinggto do it......besides all the music stuff off cassettes and lp's I want to digitise, and did i mention all the old video programes saved of tv on video..or old books from school..or old teaching books....or....jeez!